Lovely old Mercedes - never heard of the model though?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercboiuk

MB Enthusiast
Car
1995 E320 Coupe
Evening all!

Whilst driving through Norwich yesterday I spied this little beauty. I simply had to stop and photograph it.

While driving by I instantly thought "Ponton", but I can only remember a 190 and 220 Ponton being released - I noticed it had a "219" moniker on the boot.

So here's one for the experts. What exactly did I see?

An added piece of excellence - well I quite like it anyway. In the back window was a "Robinson's Autostar" sticker, indicating this car was originally purchased locally. Funnily enough I spotted it about 400 yards from the old Robinson's showroom!

No word on mileage but she looked in great condition.

Here are the photos :D
IMG_2638_zpsbd6fe230.jpg

IMG_2639_zps424a26cf.jpg

IMG_2644_zps643fcd0c.jpg

IMG_2643_zps8ff12c83.jpg

IMG_2640_zps849366b5.jpg

IMG_2642_zps64463752.jpg

IMG_2641_zpse39a459f.jpg

Darren

Beautiful car! Looks to be in amazing original condition.

I guess with some care and a periodic waxoyl these cars could last a lifetime.

We have a member called Pontoneer...after the Ponton.

Nobody seems to think the rear wing flare is ungainly...unlike on a W212...

No, because it works well within the overall context of the design, unlike the modern rendition they tried in the name of - retro...??

Isn't that simply a beautiful car, well preserved for future generations ?

I like it.

Indeed , I have one too . I've had mine since 1982 , drove it for many years , although it now needs restored as it is in nothing like the condition of the one shown above .

The 219 is quite a rare car in the UK , never having been officially imported here . I think there may be four or five in the country .

It is basically a 190 with the larger engine and front end from the 220 . The model was widely used by police forces in Germany and elsewhere .

It is the ancestor of the small car with the big engine , like the 190E 2.6 and later larger engined C Class models .

Here are a couple of pictures of mine , the first taken not long after I bought it , scanned from a scratchy old print .

And a more recent one .

Here's a video I found showing it running !

Incidentally ,

the black car should not strictly have the chrome garnish mouldings along the body creases - those were for the 220 models only ; Mercedes used to use these details to distinguish between different models which also had different levels of trim - eg 220 , 220S and 220SE . The 190 and 219 only had the strips along the door bottoms .

Whoever restored the car must have added them at that stage .

mercboiuk said:
Great knowledge Pontoneer! Thank you for filling in the gaps :thumb:

Darren

As I am thinking of buying an e55 as my first mb, I bought the w211 dealer brochure off eBay. The Ponton appears on page 8 and has a short description on how it got its name. Very elegant car.

Incidentally ,

the black car should not strictly have the chrome garnish mouldings along the body creases - those were for the 220 models only ; Mercedes used to use these details to distinguish between different models which also had different levels of trim - eg 220 , 220S and 220SE . The 190 and 219 only had the strips along the door bottoms .

Whoever restored the car must have added them at that stage .

Maybe its the AMG sport version:thumb:

Tony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom