Lovely Sl55 from Historics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
30k miles. What a bargain.

But an AMG is an AMG. And I say that as someone who bought an AMG once, and never again.

It would be better to benchmark it against other R230 SL55's for value.

Yep, I have one. Also used to have an SL55 - was a good one

I looked at SL55 prices, hence the comment. Of course, ads don’t tell you sale prices not the cost of the backlog maintenance needed

You would assume whoever bought it also knows what else is available on the market, and judged the car to be worth paying £22k for.

Certainly £22k doesn’t seem expensive for a 30k mile example of what was a £100k car new.

The only obvious caveats are that the value of everything seems very uncertain going forward, but that’s nothing specific to this example.

I really like the interior. There is too much black and cream around. I suspect that car has been given more love and attention than Baby Jesus. £20k and I'd have it like a shot. Not worried about investment potential or VFM.

I'll take something newer.

I've just had a mail shot which says this Topaz blue one, with red interior, is still for sale at £23k.

Makes you wonder whether some kind of deal fell through. Many possible reasons....

Ref 179 2002 Mercedes-Benz SL55 AMG Kompresser MRP
I enquires further. They’re keeping it for sale til they get paid for it - buyer needs to get to a bank apparently...

I enquires further. They’re keeping it for sale til they get paid for it - buyer needs to get to a bank apparently...

Which reminds me, did I ever tell you that joke about "how do you tell if someone's a car salesman (or auctioneer) ?"

...buyer needs to get to a bank apparently...

Oh really? Somebody is in a position to pay £23K for a car, and can't do a bank transfer? :rolleyes:

Either the money needs to be laundered, or the buyer lives somewhere with very tight exchange control regulations and needs to get the money out, legally or illegally, or the buyer hasn't got the money but hopes to get it soon, or the vendor is telling fibs and there is no buyer at that price...

No, go on

"Auctioneers lie when their lips move."

In this electronic age, if people have money it can be moved in an instant.
If there was really some delay, the buyer would be asked to put down a chunky (25%) non-refundable deposit and commit to storage charges.

TBF, it's a tough time to be auctioning cars to sellers who aren't in the mood to travel to buy cars. You could argue that the Auctioneer's just protecting his seller.

Either way: "caveat emptor."

Oh really? Somebody is in a position to pay £23K for a car, and can't do a bank transfer? :rolleyes:...............
Most banks have a daily transfer limit so maybe the total cost, with fees, exceeded the limit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom