Loving my CLK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Springbok

Car
W209 CLK 280
Evening all,

Bought my CLK ( W209 280 2006 ) in November, and loving every second of it.

The first service was a bit steep, some front suspension arms and bushes, front discs. Since then though, it hasn't missed a beat.

I'll be looking forward to getting expert opinion and advice from the rest of the forum.

People have asked me how I can go from a diesel Punto (50mpg and £120 Tax) to the Merc ( 19 and 470 ! ), but there hasn't been a day that I haven't got in without a smile.

I'm not looking to modify it to death, just trying to improve on what came out of the factory. Tints will be going on next week ( pictures to follow ) debadge to follow. After that, I'm open to suggestions but will be looking at doing something with the suspension ( it's a bit wobbly at times, and rolls into corners spinning up the inside rear ).

I'll start posting pictures as soon as the sun makes an appearance!

Again Hi to everyone.

Congrats! Nice ride and welcome aboard :)

Is it really £470 road tax? :eek:

Hi and welcome aboard, im fairly new to the CLK as well, great motors..

Is yours the Aventgarde ?? mine is and i dont find the suspension too soft, its quite firm in fact. But i am looking to get some Eibach springs..

I loved my 350 CLK and have to say it is probably one of the best cars I have ever owned. Great choice and congrats!

Hello, the CLK is a great all road car.

After that, I'm open to suggestions but will be looking at doing something with the suspension ( it's a bit wobbly at times, and rolls into corners spinning up the inside rear ).

You'll never cure that without fitting a LSD.

H&R do some great stuff.

Hi,welcome to the forum:thumb:

Without replying to all the posts.

Yep £470 for Road Tax, it was registered after the March 2006 cutoff so about £200 worse off. No complaints though, better and healthier than spending it down the pub.

It's the Avantgarde, the ride itself is pretty good considering the rubber band wheels ( 35 and 40 profile ), so fine around town. Faster A and B roads though, I feel it rolls around too much.
I always regard lowering kits with a bit of suspicion because the spring rates might not be matched the new ride height and weight of the car ( also the dampers would need to be updated to really take advantage of stiffer springs.
I'm thinking upgraded antiroll bars as they won't affect the ride, and then I can weight until the dampers need replacing to stiffen and lower.

My objective is to go a bit "stealth" on the look of the car, tone down the bling but without going overboard ( matte black might look good, but I'm not the Knight Rider ( for the youngsters out there ask your Dad or YouTube )).

Window tints are going on tomorrow, ( I've seen some of the opinions on the forum, so expecting some flak ). After that a de-badge, and once the winter wheels are on ( yes even in Feb, long story involving a little snow and a lot of going nowhere ), the 18's will get a refurb and respray in a darker metallic grey.

After that, who knows ( all of you hopefully! )

Thanks for all the good wishes

Do you do lots of short trips ? my 280 does 26mpg and over 32 on a long run.

Do you do lots of short trips ? my 280 does 26mpg and over 32 on a long run.

Loads of shorts runs to work and back, about 10 miles round trip. 19mpg during the week. Did get a long run into Kent a few weeks ago, managed 36mpg at 70(ish).

I just close my eyes and fill up twice a month.

I love our 350 clk sport cabriolet registered in January 2006 and gets the cheaper tax.

Its got 37k on the clock and likely to get about 4 to 5K on a year. looking at some older Mercedes with lowish miles than I will probably get more in 10 to 15 years than the £12k I bought it for originally.

I intend keeping it totally original with no upgrades apart from navigation disk and the Viseeo MB4 phone unit.

I love older original cars that have been looked after.

gh3382

I love our 350 clk sport cabriolet registered in January 2006 and gets the cheaper tax.

Its got 37k on the clock and likely to get about 4 to 5K on a year. looking at some older Mercedes with lowish miles than I will probably get more in 10 to 15 years than the £12k I bought it for originally.

I intend keeping it totally original with no upgrades apart from navigation disk and the Viseeo MB4 phone unit.

I love older original cars that have been looked after.

gh3382

Where do you recommended getting the newer navigation disc, I've still get the 2006 disc and have already been to an address that doesn't exist on the satnav

I bought my genuine updated disc off ebay. Instead of going for the current look for last years, can usually pick them up for a reasonable price (not copies).

Greetings all CLK 270 CDI lovers...

Just joined forum having just brought a 2003 CLK 207 CDI.. Need advice please?

Awesome car, however couple of small concerns....

1.. Ride is a bit harsh and bumpy...not the smooth glide I assumed on a prestige luxury car... Is the cause the ultra low profile tyre/wheel combo?...they look standard issue. If so;.. Any advice warmly received.

2.. I think this issue is linked to above....driving around corners or even over rough roads...rear end twitches , it feels like a cross between tyres loosing grip (plenty of tread on them) and rear of car flexing on invisible springs.

Car brought from decent garage so assume its not 2 cars welded together...

Check brand of tyre on rear.
An alignment check may also be worth considering.

I have never driven a 203/209 that I can honestly call comfortable in terms of ride quality. 16" wheels are the smallest you can go on a 270cdi and they may help a little if you have 17" or 18"

There are reports of H&R springs making life a little better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom