Loving the snow.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CardinalZeus77

Car
Porsche 991.2 911 Carrera S
Just went for a drive in the snow and no problems at all on the winter tyres. I even went down the side streets and no sliding at all.

winter tyres? it's not that bad!

P1050376.jpg

I'd like to officially state that whereas in the W211 I would drive with the esp off in order to move around in snow, the ESP on the W204 seems to be programmed much better for snow driving.

For me, the snow came at the wrong time as I've got to get down to Heathrow this evening to meet wifey returning from Russia! So far, I've just looked at the Saab, buried in about 12 inches of snow drift! Think I should try and dig it out... :D

Thank god I kept it, front wheel drive will be a lot better than the 275 tyred, rear wheel drive CLS!!!

Its not but without the winter tyres the car would be all over the place.

I don't know

That last photo looks just like the view out of my window and I was quite surprised that with normal tyres on, everything was just fine.

It started, stopped and went round corners just like any other day.

Maybe those BMW drivers have made us Merc drivers paranoid

Oh how I laughed as I saw 4x4 after 4x4 lying in ditches whenever I got to a corner

@MARK said:
I don't know

That last photo looks just like the view out of my window and I was quite surprised that with normal tyres on, everything was just fine.

It started, stopped and went round corners just like any other day.

Maybe those BMW drivers have made us Merc drivers paranoid

Oh how I laughed as I saw 4x4 after 4x4 lying in ditches whenever I got to a corner

May be you are right ... I've had BMW's before and they were useless in the snow with summers. This is my first Merc so thought RWD it would be useless with summers too.

I'm absolutely loving the snow... my winter set up of Nokian's and Vredrestein's have been amazing. I just can't believe the amount of grip you can get.... Drove from Swansea to Brighton last night and had absolutely no issues....

Drove my C220 CDI 50 miles late yesterday in the snow in West and South Yorkshire in 3-6 inches of snow. 4 x Bridgestone Blizzaks fitted. One corner in front of me a Vauxhall spun off the road into a field and a Nissan was snaking everywhere. No problems at all with the rear wheel drive on the Mercedes... myth destroyed!

just got back from a kids party, got out the garage fine, to the party no probs, snow covered car park, no probs.... then on the slight uphill to my garage, got up and car stopped, sideways again, had to reverse up and take a run up a few times before lining it up right to get it straight in...and thats with winters!

i think it was because its all turning into sheet ice!

Alps said:
just got back from a kids party, got out the garage fine, to the party no probs, snow covered car park, no probs.... then on the slight uphill to my garage, got up and car stopped, sideways again, had to reverse up and take a run up a few times before lining it up right to get it straight in...and thats with winters!

i think it was because its all turning into sheet ice!

Are they new tyres or run in, it makes a huge difference. What brand are they? Glad to see a few people are using proper tyres this winter. My Nokians are excellent.

Had the winter wheels and tyres on from the Merc deal for 2,000 miles now. Driving home from Watford 1:00am this morning and the car performed perfectly on the Dunlops. :)

I'd like to officially state that whereas in the W211 I would drive with the esp off in order to move around in snow, the ESP on the W204 seems to be programmed much better for snow driving.

Always drive with the ESP on in my W211 in snow unless moving off and things are very slippy. I stick it back on again once I have momentum.

I'm guessing that you had a E320 diesel perchance? Possibly on 17s or 18s?

Its not but without the winter tyres the car would be all over the place.

Judging by that photograph?

People need to get serious. There is a serious gap in perception of how a reasonably driven RWD car on normal tyres with reasonable tread should behave in these conditions.

Ha. Been busily polishing my winter tyres and super-smug look. And what do we get instead? No trace of snow, just the nicest day for a couple of months. Ho Hum:)

Forgot to mention that the snow depth on the motorway was about 7 cm .
Picture taken via phone (my car was at a very slow speed at time due to car in front looking a bit wobbly!!)

Attachments

• Image0043.jpg
    Image0043.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 137
Hitman that steer you gave me on the winter tyres was spot on. Has loads of fun today with the Dunlop winter sports on. Went out early doors to test them on gradients, stopping, breaking and then hooligan tactics.

Last night there was quite a bit in Knutsford,

Brother struggled in a FWD passat to get up my Mum and dads drive (slight hill) so he had to back up and that seemed to work. Also spotted and almost had to push a Jag XJ stuck on a bay at supermarket didn't look like a dip at all but the rear wheels just no traction.

I've no idea if my tyres were better as I drove very carefully anyway. The weather where we are heading soon is thick snow and -20 so it was a good pre test.

4e362f93.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom