Low coolant warning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

toffee-pie

Car
Legacy 3.0R Spec.B 6MT
Folk

Had a warning message appear this morning , engine was not warned up at this stage and eventually it went away.

I called the dealer I bought car from said and he said you just need to top up coolant. I had coolant done a week ago and he said it just needs top up.

I can use distilled water for this? He said normal water...hmmm not sure on that.

It used to be distilled water for batteries.
I believe there is a ready mixed coolant available from MB and accessory stores.
I use tap water for minor top ups, I'm sure some will say its wrong, but you need not to use it to excess to weaken the antifreeze and inhibitor.

If you had the coolant done a week ago it's probably just bleeding some air out. As suggested top it up depending on how much you need, distilled water will be fine for a small amount.

Just bleeding is one thing, a low level warning light something else. Filling the coolant would quite probably cause a small loss of level over a few days as air comes out of the system but not enough to cause the sensor to be exposed. Watch it like a hawk for the next week.

the coolant does come ready mixed which can be bought eurocarparts or concentrated n u mix

when u add into car run it with reserve tank open to get any air out but i have old school mercedes.

later check sensor for low coolant as sometimes sensor is broken, i guess star check for error codes

Can I get the mobil coolant in halfords? 1litre top up? I looked and it's down slightly.

The level will never stay at the top!!

It is a sealed system. When the coolant heats up it expands and pushes out any excess through the overflow. As it cools, it sucks back the variance fro the header tank into the radiator. So the coolant should remain about the "max" line on your header tank when hot and just under when cold.

If you have a leak? Then the coolant will eventually be pushed out the leak under the system pressure due to expansion.

The coolant "low" sensor is normally situated well under the "minimum" fill line. This stops you from continually refilling the system when it is simply working as designed.

If your coolant is dropping below the sensor you have a leak.
If it is not dropping this low? Your sensor is failing.

The coolant is down a little but not much. Certainly seems almost full. The washer fluid is also down a bit.

Just bleeding is one thing, a low level warning light something else. Watch it like a hawk for the next week.

I'm sure he will seeing he has noticed it's down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom