Low engine temperature and no eco

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mikegrieve

Car
2015 e220 BlueTEC w212
Hi I'm a newbie here
I read some thread about low engine temperatures
My 2015 e220 BlueTEC had the same problem with low temperature indication(and no green eco light) I got my local independant to swap the start assembly and what appears to be two sensors. All perfect for the first drive to home. Alas the very next day all the same problems returned. Due to lock down I've not bothered with this except when MB Loughborough serviced it last week I asked them to check if there's a fault and they said oh goody! £110 to put it on star to check it. This despite it being the big service at 55000 miles & £655.00. No help there, I won't play their games. Oh & 2 complimentary nox sensors fitted..
So my new sensors & thermostat did nowt to help.
Any ideas please.
Mike

Hi I'm a newbie here
I read some thread about low engine temperatures
My 2015 e220 BlueTEC had the same problem with low temperature indication(and no green eco light)
What is the temp showing on your temp gauge? Eco Start/Stop requires the engine coolant temp to reach 60 degrees (amoung other things), is your coolant temp below 60 degrees?

What is the temp showing on your temp gauge? Eco Start/Stop requires the engine coolant temp to reach 60 degrees (amoung other things), is your coolant temp below 60 degrees?
Temperature is around 60 most of the time and takes yonks to get there. If I get to really push the car hard it does come up to 80(indicated) and then goes down again. I know the eco does work on occasions, sometimes within a mile from cold start but the temperature isn't even starting to come up by then. It's all perfect when it's been serviced, until tomorrow.

Mine works at below 40°, so nothing to do with coolant temperature on mine.

Temperature is around 60 most of the time and takes yonks to get there. If I get to really push the car hard it does come up to 80(indicated) and then goes down again. I know the eco does work on occasions, sometimes within a mile from cold start but the temperature isn't even starting to come up by then. It's all perfect when it's been serviced, until tomorrow.
Did you verify what stat your indie fitted to your car?

Might it not be related to gearbox temp ? When the engine stops the transmission pump has to deal with the gearbox, pump might not like cold oil . Just guessin'

My R172 does not work until the coolant temp reaches 60 degrees.
Or could it be the 5 or so minutes it takes to reach 60° , is what it takes to top up the charge of your battery, that you have used with the starter motor.

Well I just don't know. I do know that there were thermostats with different opening temperatures specified so, given the original issue of engine not warming up, we went for the higher temp version. It came with two sensors fitted already so they are both new. I've just been looking on the merc "me" data and my coolant has been on about 70-75 deg c. Finally I've found a use for the stupid thing.
I've still got the old thermostat and it's sensors. Not like my old "B" from ragtop days
Mike

Got a new aux battery and the "me" says 14.8v in the main battery

Or could it be the 5 or so minutes it takes to reach 60° , is what it takes to top up the charge of your battery, that you have used with the starter motor.
No, my battery is on charge with CTEK, but still need to wait to reach 60 degrees.

Is premier in Leicester a good independent? Do they have star etc. Maybe I'm heading in that direction for some hands-on, if they're any good. I'm not impressed with mb Loughborough but I guess they're all the same.

So you've established it's not your engine temperature.
Mine hardly ever came on, I spent £200 on new batteries, it's on nearly all the time now, even more than 3 years ago when I bought the car.

I'm at a loss really. I notice there's an intake sensor too. The odd thing is it can all work just fine some days. Last week it all worked fine on a 30 mile trip, it came on, green eco light still low indicated temp. Reversed into a parking space to let the Mrs out of the car to shop, eco went yellow and never came on again all the way home, didn't even stop the engine. The kia sorento looks a good buy! 😂

You should join the Stop/Start haters gang, then you wouldn' have a problem with it not working

Thanks for your input & help.
I think there is a loose/faulty sensor or wire somewhere even wondered if there's something with the gearbox, when it goes into reverse(green light I mean)
I'm at a loss and whilst it's not important short term I'd like to fix it or at least know why the engine isn't coming up to temp. I'm not bother by the eco, that's a side issue.
Thanks everyone

Oh I I'm in the stop/start haters gang - even when it does work I turn it off! I just don't like stuff not working properly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom