Low oil pressure warning slk55

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slk simon

Hi there, I have seen a video on utube about a Mercedes sl55 engine that self destructed due to low oil pressure and the owner said the car doesn’t have a low pressure warning light or alarm? Surely that can’t be the case? Regards Simon.

Surely that can’t be the case?
It certainly isn't the case on the R172 SLK55.

There was an intermittent fault about 18 months ago with the Mercedes me Adapter app incorrectly reporting low oil pressure on Angie's car and I was assured by MB Customer Service that so long as the car didn't issue a low oil pressure warning in the instrument cluster then it was safe to ignore it. Sure enough after the next update of the app the warnings stopped.

If it has an M113 engine it has no oil pressure sensor , not sure if one was added on the M113K engine. What year is the car ? does it have a oil lamp on the dials , a little red lit oil can that goes out when you start the engine ? My 2006 AMG with a M133 V8 engine has no such lamp.

You can look under the bonnet to see if the oil pressure take off point is blanked off, then you will know .

1642509839865.png

No sensor on the M113 in the SLK either, unless a previous owner has rigged one up. Judging by posts, the M113 very rarely has oil pressure problems; maybe MB knew what they were doing when they decided not to fit a sensor or gauge?

Last edited:
The only M113 'blow ups' I have seen was a bloke who was using a C55 as a track day car (not my first choice I must say) the well known 'o'ring failed and then the same thing happened on his replacement engine because he did not install the upgraded 'o' ring :doh:

The feed pipe 'o' ring goes brittle and air is drawn into the pump resulting in low oil pressure , the first an M113 driver knows of it is when the engine pop's.

The part is cheap and has been upgraded - the new one is green - it's cheap but a sump off job, and if like on my car a saddle sump it's either engine out or sub frame/steering rack drop.

17min 30 seconds is the main culprit but it's worth watching from the beginning as he highlights other 'o' ring failures on M113 where oil mixes with coolant.

No need to be fluent in German.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

No . M113 V8's are arguably the most robust petrol engine MB has ever built , mine has 149K miles on it , regular oil and filter changes seem to be the key . The 'o' ring problem is known but I personally have seen no reports of blown engines except those that have been tracked or neglected.

I would like to replace the 'o' rings on mine but I am quite happy to rely on 5K oil changes and leave them alone. Some might argue that the supercharged version is more stressed, but that too has a great track record for reliability as it is basically an M113 with a blower bolted on top.
Something MB did with very little alteration to the non supercharged lump with great success .

It's on my to-do list to fit a gauge / led on my CLS 55.. mostly for peace of mind. Its just finding the spot to do it!

As mentioned seems super rare but id rather cover it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom