low profile

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brian 1

Car
MB A Class 180d sport
Been reading low profile tyres wear out faster, high performance tyres use a softer compound than all season tyres, so what mileage can I expect? thanks......

It's all relative, dependent on driving style, engine power etc..

My 203 ran on 45 profile tyres and I got approx 25k miles per set.

My 219 runs on 35 profile tyres and I get approx 10k miles on the rears

I don't believe low profile tyres use softer compounds per se, all depends on tyre make and type. Michelins tend to last longer than say, Toyos

Michelins tend to last longer than say, Toyos

In 40 years driving I've never seen a Michelin that lasted any longer than most other tyres I've used. A bit of advertising hype that seems to be working for them even now!

Russ

In 40 years driving I've never seen a Michelin that lasted any longer than most other tyres I've used. A bit of advertising hype that seems to be working for them even now!

Russ

Hype? Personal experience has demonstrated their longevity over other brands, Pirelli, Continental, Falken...

Hype? Personal experience has demonstrated their longevity over other brands, Pirelli, Continental, Falken...

I can only relate to my own personal experience and have never had a Michelin that lasted longer than other makes, so I see it as hype & advertising.

Russ

I am guessing the softer the compound the faster it will wear out..assuming that driving style was compared like for like...exactly.

Got 18" Conti 3`s on the rear of my CLS and have covered 17k and there is still 4 -5 mm remaining.

Fronts are an obscure make (Evergreens :dk:) but are wearing similar to the rears.

Kenny

As far as I can make out, Michelin do use a harder compound than others which would lead to longer wear as noted by whitenemesis above.

They will possibly be my next ones, having so far gone through two sets of P-Zeros at around 7,000 miles for the first, less on the second, one set of Vredestein at around 6,000 miles and the current set of Goodyear Eagle F1 which I don't expect to get a great deal out of as they're a very soft compound. Good grip, but they seem to have promoted a bit of wandering under acceleration, possibly due to the softer sidewall. Size is 285 30 19.

I'm by no means a tyre expert, just tend to buy more than most. :(

ETA: These are rear tyres only which I'm talking about, fronts are fine and on P-Zeros (2nd set)

Last edited:
My tyres are Continental 255/35 zr 19 whatever that means.....?

My tyres are Continental 255/35 zr 19 whatever that means.....?

Your tyres are 255mm wide and the wheel has a diameter of 19inches. The side wall (the profile) is 35% of the width.

You can't not have a low profile tyre...but sometimes it is just too low...yours aren't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom