Lower Ball Joint on '99 CLK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arai1200

Car
'99 CLK 320
Slight knocking over uneven ground from front driver side. Whipped the wheel off and there's a fair bit of visible play from the lower ball joint. Got a pair of ball joints from Euro Car Parts (£36 inc.VAT) and set about changing them. Stupidly, despite seeing the taper on the new ones, I didn't think I'd need a ball joint remover...!!! Promptly replaced the wheel and set about looking for ball joint removers on the net. In my search, I discovered a number of references to other cars that needed the ball joints to be pressed into the uprights and the lower wishbones. Is this also true of the CLK and should I admit defeat and get a garage to do it instead? Any help gratefully received.

Incidentally, the stealership said £49 each + 1 hour's labour (£99) per side +VAT, which works out at £347.80!!!

you don't need a balljoint splitter really, a few hard whacks with a good hammer on the point where the taper seats always frees them, expect a loud crack noise when they seperate, always makes you jump lol

you don't need a balljoint splitter really, a few hard whacks with a good hammer on the point where the taper seats always frees them, expect a loud crack noise when they seperate, always makes you jump lol

hmm i have seen my mechanics struggle with these for hours! we had the MB tool but it broke and a new one is £400!

sorry but missed out the refitting bit, they do need to be pressed in and out, i have used a vice in the past to press them in and out, seems to work well enough and you can do them yourself.

I know what you mean Jaymanek. i usually put a fork end splitter in the gap to pressure the taper a bit if it's tight then hit it, i can honestly say i have never had to resort to workshop tools so to speak even on waggons and coaches and they can be a right B-----d. Perseverence is the key.

hmm i have seen my mechanics struggle with these for hours! we had the MB tool but it broke and a new one is £400!

I've got a German made klann ball joint splitter. Due to the clever parallel pivoting design it exerts hugh amounts of pressure. Takes about 10 seconds to split any size balljoint. The pressure spindle and other parts are replaceable.The cutout section that fits under the ball is available in six different sizes so it fits all cars.The down side is the price £140. It's truely bizarre British mechanics expend so much time and force but won't invest in quality tools !
For commercial vehicles Facom do a large splitter with a small hydrulic ram attached, the same type as on bearing pullers.With finger tightening it exerts 8 tons.I've seen them for £180 but the drawback with this design must surely be lack of access in some applications due to it's height.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FACOM-HYDRAUL...ryZ30917QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
The problem with hitting joints is that on aluminum arms you can also knock out the steel sleeve plus destroy the rubber boot if using a pickle fork.

adam

Last edited:
one of the reasons we dont spend on expensive tools is that they tend to go missing a lot... so we as the owners wont spend, its down to the mechanics themselves... if they buy, they look after!

you wouldnt believe how many towing bars, trolley jacks, inspection lamps etc we go through...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom