Lower ball joints

Discussion in 'Wheels, Tyres, Brakes & Suspension' started by flt.eng, Oct 6, 2011.

1. flt.eng

flt.eng Active Member

Car:
    E320 avantgared
    For a year, I felt my steering was not what it could have been. It always seemed slightly heavy. self centreing, included. I always seemed to be applying a permanant, minute, right hand down. :Until: The MOT. It was noted, on the advisory. That there was slight play in both lower ball joints. I had these replaced (£250). Had an alignment check. & BINGO. What a difference. It felt a completely different car. The self centreing & steering was lighter. With no more right hand down.
    If you do'nt change cars very often. This is what can happen, when you do. I had no mechanical indication. ie. rattles. Other than above.
    I hope this may help certain members.

4 people like this.
  2. davionix

davionix New Member

Car:
    e220 cdi blue efficiency
    I had exactly the same symptom and during an expensive engine repair at MB,they did a survey on the car and found both front suspension cross struts rubbing on the sub-frame. £116 pounds each side to replace but what a difference to the handling and steering. this was not picked up during previous indie work,including the MOT!

Tags: