Lower balljoint MOT fail

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mobeyone

MB Enthusiast
Car
E280 S211
MOT tester failed my S211 today due to as he put the lower rubber being split. On examination, the rubber is not split but cracked and nothing that would cause grease to leak etc.

Where do I stand with this? Can I contest?

The joint was only changed in october last year.

Ask him to show you the split,,,If he claims it is split, he should be able to show you the problem.

Last edited:
I believe that recent changes mean that ANY perceived damage to a rubber gaiter is now an automatic fail - I'm trying to Google it to see if its true or not.

What is the difference between a split and a crack exactly? [/confused]

AFAIAC, a baljoint boot split/crack is now an MOT fail.

If you are feeling lazy, just buy the same make balljoint (£10 odd) and just swap over the boot. Makes the task a whole lot easier.

Same here, not sure but in the past a split was a fail and a crack was a pass? He's claiming the split is at the back..... I will be taking it back to him as the part is under warranty.

It's not a dodgy garage, very by the book etc and they test the local buses etc.

The guy is a first class tw8t btw...

Last edited:
Was the balljoint boot damaged on installation?

Sp!ke said:
Was the balljoint boot damaged on installation?

No, 100%.

It's in on Friday so we will see, vosa will be getting a call if not.

Dieselman said:

Long standing reputation for poor attitude with customers, rumours are rife he likes to be pleased with presents as well as enjoying what supposed power he has.

He has also allegedly been known to make comments about failing cars when in a bad mood.

begs the question... why do you go there then?

Sp!ke said:
begs the question... why do you go there then?

Have to.... The work I now do falls within local licensing laws and the car is subject to an enhanced mot.

Hence the power trip he has.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom