Lowered suspension on Vito 119 sport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rainbow

Car
CLS55 AMG
I have a 2018, Vito sport and was thinking about lowering the suspension to improve the handling.

Has anybody done this?

looking for recommendations do’s and don’t’s

thanks in advance

Hi

I have a late 2018 119 Vito Sport (March 2019 registered). I have been through a few different options already in this regard, some successful and some not so! It was pretty difficult finding out any info, so I just had to work my through it until I got the right result.

You will notice as stock the rear end sits very high compared to the front, clearly for allowance for max payload. I found the stock set-up very bouncy when not fully loaded and the rear springs are clearly pretty soft. First I got a full set of H&R lowering springs which gave approx 30-35mm drop both front and back. It improved the look massively, but obviously the rear still looked high compared with the front. The H&R springs were just coupled with the stock shock absorbers and I found the ride a bit crashy at the front. The rear was good.

I also then fitted larger 19"x9" wide alloys with a more aggressive offset, which didn't really make the ride worse, but I did get rubbing over bumps etc at the front. I had no rubbing at all with the stock 17"x7" wheels. Basically my front wheel/suspension setup wasn't working well, so I needed a re-think.

In the meantime since I got my van MB released the new Vito sport version earlier this year which has a lowered sport suspension set-up with a 10mm drop over standard. I did my maths and decided that if I fitted the new shocks and springs off the new sport version it would raise the front sufficiently and make the ride height nice and level with the rear. It was a fairly expensive exercise, but the result has worked very well. I went the whole hog and got new complete front end package of springs as well as shocks to ensure the ride was good and everything balanced.

So to recap, I've now got H&R lowering springs with stock shocks at the rear giving 30-35mm drop and new Vito sport shocks and springs at the front giving 10mm drop. The van sits perfectly level now with equal arch clearances front and rear, even when I'm loaded up. The ride is great too and much better than stock. So if I was to start out all again I'd go straight with what I have now. That said there is a Bilstein B14 adjustable kit available which I keep thinking about, but the cost is pretty eye-watering!!

PM me if you'd like full details, with part nos etc, as they were pretty hard to find.

Few pics below, sorry some not the clearest. Bottom two are same set-up.

H&R springs 30-35mm drop front and rear, stock shocks and stock wheels.
IMG_6316 - Copy.JPG

H&R springs 30-35mm drop front and rear, stock shocks and 19" wheels.
IMG_6337 - Copy.JPG

H&R lowering springs with stock shocks at the rear giving 30-35mm drop and new Vito sport shocks and springs at the front giving 10mm drop.
IMG_7007 - Copy.JPG

H&R lowering springs with stock shocks at the rear giving 30-35mm drop and new Vito sport shocks and springs at the front giving 10mm drop.
IMG_7207 - Copy.JPG

Great write up,
a lot of information.
i’m getting a 2021 combi van which has ”sports” suspension as standard,
rides really well.
it has small wheel arch gaps, probably not as small as yours.
I’m looking to upgrade to 19” wheels and would appreciate any advice on rim width and tyre size.
Thanks in advance.
stephen

Hi,
i have tried 3 different lowering springs on my van.

eibach springs ( ride was nice and firm but not over the top , handled well, but it wasn’t lowered enough for my liking.

H & r ( looked better, was a little bit lower but not over the top, ride was not quite as good.

cobra ( similar stance to h & r, but ride was a lot better handled beautifully )
just had a rear one crack, after 2 years, buts that a lot of forest tracks and a lot of trailer towing.

I am getting the new w447 in 2 weeks, one of the last sports off the line, I will be keeping them both in the interim period while I get the new one just right.
which I didn’t want to do, but mines coming up 5 years old don’t want to take the risk of them not realising a new model sport model coming out before all the mega changes in 2025
CB6D8027-51AB-4586-9C12-80113B5FABD5.jpeg
1348AE7A-27D3-40A9-BEA6-842405F98D81.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom