Lowering a W202 - advice fitting springs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SamW

Car
2000 W208 CLK320 Coupe Elegance
I've finally purchased some Eibach lowering springs (<40mm) and I'm going to tackle fitting them myself.

It's lower already as I understand the previous keeper changed the shocks and removed the spring pads. I was planning on buying original pads and then installing the springs to hopefully get the ride/look I'm after. I ultimately want it lower - obviously.

I've lowered old Fords in the past, is the 202 set up user friendly and easy? Looking at it on diagrams it seems fairly straight forward but is there anything I need to know or be careful of?

Many thanks in advance.

PS - I believe this is Wills(?) old car and he may be able to shed some light on what it's had done already - I don't want to do it and end up with it sitting higher :wallbash:
C230k
P394PLM

For the front springs you'll need a spring compressor, the internal type. Plenty of cheap ones on eBay, just search 'Mercedes Spring Compressor'. I found the rears are easier to do without the compressor, it's a matter of disconnecting the lower spring arm on one side, support it with a trolley jack both on removal and installing. After the springs and new spring pads are fitted drive the car for a few miles to let it settle and adjust with different thickness pads as required and then get the wheel alignment checked.

Check the front spring cups for rust, give them a good clean.

I've finally purchased some Eibach lowering springs (<40mm) and I'm going to tackle fitting them myself.

It's lower already as I understand the previous keeper changed the shocks and removed the spring pads. I was planning on buying original pads and then installing the springs to hopefully get the ride/look I'm after. I ultimately want it lower - obviously.

I've lowered old Fords in the past, is the 202 set up user friendly and easy? Looking at it on diagrams it seems fairly straight forward but is there anything I need to know or be careful of?

Many thanks in advance.

PS - I believe this is Wills(?) old car and he may be able to shed some light on what it's had done already - I don't want to do it and end up with it sitting higher :wallbash:
C230k
P394PLM

Hi,

Small world Sam. Yes that's one of my old cars, in fact I know the last three owners after me - I sold it to a neighbour of mine, then a good friend bought it from them a couple of years later, he then sold it a while back to a forum member on here - 'calgonis' - so it's becoming quite a forum car! Is that who you bought it from or did it change hands again in the meantime?

It's a factory Sport chassis W202 and had the lipped arches as it was supplied new with 17" AMG Monoblocks. I never touched the springs or spring pads - it was sitting low enough for me at the time. I replaced all four dampers with new 'Lorinser' branded Bilteins and the ride was very firm but comfortable on decent roads/Motorways etc - a bit rough around potholed town roads though!

I spent a fair wack on it when I had it and it was a very clean car, even when I last saw it and drove it around three years ago it felt much fresher than I was expecting.

I only sold it because realistically I wanted something a bit more special (C36/C43) at the time then had a new car for a couple of years and then bought another 190E Cosworth - etc.

Post some pics up when you get a chance :cool:

Will

Oh - back to your original question. Yes the rear ones are easy enough, as JJJ says you can use a trolley jack under the arm and remove either the inner bolt or a bit more stuff and do it the other way round dropping the arm on the outer side. Then the spring will just drop out.

Front you'll need the MB (Klann type) or copy tool - cheap enough now.

The mistake many folks make is not to match any new spring rates with the existing shocks as they should work together . Sometimes a major lowering reduces the effective operating range of the standard shocker meaning its early demise. In theory at least reducing ride height might ideally indicate the use of a shorter travel uprated sports shock absorber but most people just " wing it" with what's there

Another danger of not fitting shorter travel shock absorbers is the spring may unseat if the existing travel is long enough.

I replaced all four dampers with new 'Lorinser' branded Bilteins

There you go Sambo and you're off to a good start but I suspect there are based on Bilstein B4's and maybe just revalved to Lorinser spec (don't know for sure). If there are still in good condition try them with the new springs and see how you get on and they could be o.k. but I'd go with B6's or similar, there should be no need for the shorter stroke B8's. Then again good B4's should work with 40mm springs. From a personal perspective, I wouldn't fit new non standard springs without new shocks.

P.S. BTW, are you using Eibach Sportline or Pro?

Last edited:
FWIW, the Bilsteins that are currently fitted were physically identical to the factory ones that I removed - as JJJ says I suggest that they were reworked/valved differently to Lorinser's spec. Quite possibly a B4 variant - all I can say is that extended/compressed length was the same as the standard fitment Bilsteins that were removed (factory sport suspension)

Possibly a little too firm for UK roads - in honesty more suited to autobahn/smooth motorways or track use IMHO.

They've been on circa 12 years now though. I bought that car back in 2004 :)

You can use a trolley jack for all the springs.

I did actually consider that but it seemed rather prudent to spend seventy odd quid on the correct spring compressors for the front especially as I was doing it on the ground which made the job very easy too. And an added bonus was at a later date I replaced both lower wishbones, the compressors again made life easier and no doubt safer.

Thank you for the replies and reassurance that it's not too tricky.

I took it out yesterday and took these (awful) snaps to show how she currently sits. Maybe it is low enough already, but I do have a thing for these being proper laid out.

797EDA40-3D2A-4CF6-98E7-4CAD5328BE20_zpstrt1fr89.jpg

9AC7E36D-D28B-46AF-BCD2-CF80B9813E45_zpszvfk2hnc.jpg

Also, thanks for the replies Will. Yes I bought it from that chap off the forum about a year ago. Although she's filth and not looking her best in the pics, it is still a nice car and does everything you would expect a 20yr old car to do I guess.

I had the rear windows darkened and a few car park dents removed to freshen it up. It does need some paint to make 10/10, mainly on the bootlid and rear bumper, also the front wings have come on age and could do with replacing but still looks presentable.

I would be interested to see any old pics you have of it if you get 5 mins :thumb:

Cheers

FWIW, the Bilsteins that are currently fitted were physically identical to the factory ones that I removed - as JJJ says I suggest that they were reworked/valved differently to Lorinser's spec. Quite possibly a B4 variant - all I can say is that extended/compressed length was the same as the standard fitment Bilsteins that were removed (factory sport suspension)

Possibly a little too firm for UK roads - in honesty more suited to autobahn/smooth motorways or track use IMHO.

They've been on circa 12 years now though. I bought that car back in 2004 :)

I replaced my c36 rear shocks with the same bilstien lorinser stickered ones too, they looked the same but without the AMG markings on the shock, felt much better.

spring pads also come in different thickness , which can make it higher\lower by almost 1.5 inches dependent on which ones you install.

I do really, not so much for the wheel gap but more for the bumpers, from some angels it seems too high.

Maybe I should just leave it as it is and go on the hunt for a facelift instead. I had this a few years back and miss it really but felt that, although totally standard, had a better stance. I know it was kitted etc and I guess that makes all the difference.

_DSC0113_zps42248300.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom