lowering my w211 e280cdi sport

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BIG_G_1979

Car
E280 CDI SPORT
Hi guys I have bought myself some lowering springs and need advice and what to look out for when doing the job in hand, I think the rears are tricky and people have different methods so please advise on easiest way of doing the job thanks

No easy for rears. Up on axle stands and put a jack under bottom arm slightly inboard. I did use my internal spring compressors to help slightly but are not needed. Undo bottom shock mount and with trolley jack taking some pressure undo inboard bolt holding bottom arm on body which can be problematic. Once out slowly lower jack and spring should come out. Which springs did you get and where from?

No easy for rears. Up on axle stands and put a jack under bottom arm slightly inboard. I did use my internal spring compressors to help slightly but are not needed. Undo bottom shock mount and with trolley jack taking some pressure undo inboard bolt holding bottom arm on body which can be problematic. Once out slowly lower jack and spring should come out. Which springs did you get and where from?

I bought Vogtland springs from Germany I have a friend there who is sending them over to me, these are oem amg manufacturers, is the inboard bolt on bottom arm the spined one in bush is always seizes, any ideas if I need new spring pads? Whatever these are?

Last edited:
I bought Vogtland springs from Germany I have a friend there who is sending them over to me, these are oem amg manufacturers, is the inboard bolt on bottom arm the spined one in bush is always seizes, any ideas if I need new spring pads? Whatever these are?

Yeah that's the one. No I think your pad will be ok. There is just one at top of spring which helps alinement of spring to body. I'll be honest I undid the out board bolt closest hub and shock which I managed with spring compressor but that's only because I heard inboard was a camber bolt but that's not so. So I wish I'd of done it that way as it's supposed to be easier. How much should it lower it and would you mind sharing how much as iam toying with the idea myself.

How crucial is it to have spring compressors for rears? I have normal ones for fronts, these springs will drop it by 40mm so 20mm for mine as mine is a sport and already dropped by 20mm from factory, do u have a how 2 for changing rears? I have access to a ramp and tools but I don't think I have internal spring compressors

How crucial is it to have spring compressors for rears? I have normal ones for fronts, these springs will drop it by 40mm so 20mm for mine as mine is a sport and already dropped by 20mm from factory, do u have a how 2 for changing rears? I have access to a ramp and tools but I don't think I have internal spring compressors

No how to sorry but sure I found one when I changed my broken rears. Don't think you need compressors when using inboard bolt but it's a Defo the other way round. Where do you live as you could borrow mine but I live near Leicester.

No how to sorry but sure I found one when I changed my broken rears. Don't think you need compressors when using inboard bolt but it's a Defo the other way round. Where do you live as you could borrow mine but I live near Leicester.

Thanks but I live in Lisburn, N Ireland so a bit far lol

I see no problem. You maybe able to hire one. Think I paid 40 odd quid for mine off eBay.

Please post some before and after pics when you have done it id love to see the difference.

Does anyone know if it's vital to have spring compressors to tackle this job? Been reading and people just lower the arm down until spring cones out.

Does anyone know if it's vital to have spring compressors to tackle this job? Been reading and people just lower the arm down until spring cones out.

If you use in board no compressors needed but out board then yes. I'd try in board way if I was to do it again mate.

If you use in board no compressors needed but out board then yes. I'd try in board way if I was to do it again mate.

Thanks streethawk! Yes I will try the inboard bolts, just to clarify the inboard bolts hold arm to subframe? Also is it some sort of special torn required? Will springs go back in without compressors too? If I do it this way will both springs come out at same time? Sorry for all questions just want as much info before I start

Thanks streethawk! Yes I will try the inboard bolts, just to clarify the inboard bolts hold arm to subframe? Also is it some sort of special torn required? Will springs go back in without compressors too? If I do it this way will both springs come out at same time? Sorry for all questions just want as much info before I start

Yes ones onto the subframe. No special tool and think iirc that the exhaust gets in the way a little on drivers side. Been a long time since I did mine. One spring at a time and yes go back with no compressors. Just get on with it you'll be fine just think safety and get some pics up as iam waiting to see if I should lower mine ha ha ☺

Lol great thanks alot I have taken before pictures already just waiting on springs arriving then hopefully get fitting them Friday 11th March. I can't wait I hope it won't be too bumpy!! Is yours a sport as well?

Yeah I but I think mine sits a little high on front. It's had new mb springs on front 2 years ago before I got her and according to mb they are the correct colour code etc but I think is 20mm to high. There is adjustment on the fronts where the bottom of the spring sits but you have to dismantle to check which setting it's on. Do me a favour when you do the front and measure from the bottom of the aluminium cup which spring sits on to the bottom of the shock before it splits into the fork which goes around the bottom arm please. As yours looks a little lower than mine on front and this measurement will tell me if mines set right. This would be a great help especially if you take a pic so I can definitely see where you measured yours. If you don't mind of course.

Yeah I but I think mine sits a little high on front. It's had new mb springs on front 2 years ago before I got her and according to mb they are the correct colour code etc but I think is 20mm to high. There is adjustment on the fronts where the bottom of the spring sits but you have to dismantle to check which setting it's on. Do me a favour when you do the front and measure from the bottom of the aluminium cup which spring sits on to the bottom of the shock before it splits into the fork which goes around the bottom arm please. As yours looks a little lower than mine on front and this measurement will tell me if mines set right. This would be a great help especially if you take a pic so I can definitely see where you measured yours. If you don't mind of course.

ForumRunner_20160301_214025.jpg

ForumRunner_20160301_214045.jpg
Here you can see how I measured ☺

ForumRunner_20160301_214109.jpg

ForumRunner_20160301_214140.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom