Lowering w205 estate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

emc4raz

Car
c220 cdi sport coupe
HI All

Just bought a w205 estate se, I have just put 18" amg alloys, the car seems to be sitting a bit high, can I put AMG springs on the car

Purely an optical illusion, presuming you have fitted the correct section tyres to the new rims. The wheel to arch gap is the same as on 17" rims
That said, not sure AMG spec springs would lower the car as it's already a sport variant. Plus one would ideally also have to fit the correct shocks to maintain ride quality.

Purely an optical illusion, presuming you have fitted the correct section tyres to the new rims. The wheel to arch gap is the same as on 17" rims
That said, not sure AMG spec springs would lower the car as it's already a sport variant. Plus one would ideally also have to fit the correct shocks to maintain ride quality.
So my car is a se executive at the moment, I think they do sit a lot higher, was possibly think of getting a spring set of a amg spec car, do they have air suspension on the rear

Not optical , tyres aren't produced in the sizes stated !!

Plus sizing = plus rising .

The tyre to wheel arch gap is often reduced but the chassis is further off the ground .

On the W204, the Executive SE suspension is softer and rides higher (allowing more spring travel) than the Sport and AMG Line models. I would imagine it is the same with the W205?

Also, I am assuming the OP is referring to fitting suspension component from the AMG-Line variant, and not from a C63 or C43?

If so, then I wouldn't just buy AMG-Line springs (and dampers), because I am not sure what other suspension differences are there between the Executive SE and the AMG-Line cars. I think a safer bet would be to buy and fit an after-market lowering kit made specifically for the W205 Executive SE.

Eibach Pro with Bilstein B4 dampers , but select the Sports suspension version.

Not optical , tyres aren't produced in the sizes stated !!

The tyre to wheel arch gap is often reduced but the chassis is further off the ground .
I'm not sure what you mean. With respect, I think your statement is nonsense.

If you increase the diameter of the wheel you put on tyres that will maintain the diameter before the change...so plus sizing will not be plus rising...unless you get it wrong.

And, of course, if you put a greater diameter tyre on (thus reducing the gap between tyre and wheel arch), the car will be raised...that's a truism rather than an interesting fact.

Imagine the diameter I'd have when I changed from 17 to 19s!!! But no, with correct tyres they are a couple of mm out. And a couple of mm is insignificant since it is less than the difference between a new tyre and a worn tyre.

Last edited:
You get the correct size , but they are not because the tyres vary in size from manufacturer to manufacturer .

I love this one...

They manipulate ate what they want to do with the tyre , wider for grip and reduce for economy .

The lower profile tyres have built in comfort by being taller !

They manipulate ate what they want to do with the tyre , wider for grip and reduce for economy .

:dk:

I'm confused...lower profile tyres are not taller than their higher profile equivalents.

Do you know what the profile ratio refers to?

HI All

Just bought a w205 estate se, I have just put 18" amg alloys, the car seems to be sitting a bit high, can I put AMG springs on the car
There is an implied causality in your post.

For the elimination of doubt I read your statement as saying you've changed your wheels/tyres but still have the high look you don't like. You are not saying that the new wheels/tyres have had an affect on this, but you'd just like a lower car? If yes...then the AMG (OR AFTER MARKET) SPRINGS WOULD PROBABLY DO WHAT YOU WANT. i DON'T KNOW IF YOU HAVE SELF LEVELING SUSPENSION ON THE REAR LIKE THE e cLASS...BUT IF YOU DO, THIS CAN BE ADJUSTED TO LOWER THE BACK...BUT WHAT ABOUT THE FRONT?

Oops...sorry for the caps (can't be bothered to type that again).

The lower profile are taller than the actual aspect ratio math .

So these tyre calculators are only a rough guide .

Yes its not made it higher but would look better slightly lower, its a basic spec so I don't think it has the self levelling suspension. I will try and post a pic l8r 2 day

The lower profile are taller than the actual aspect ratio math .

So these tyre calculators are only a rough guide .
That's a new one on me.

So if I lay my 17" spare on any of my 19s" they'd be different? And what about staggered...that would be awkward since different size tyres front and rear can render the cruise control inoperable?

Do you want to stop digging?

Welcome to the real world.

We never stop learning .

Not many people notice it or uncover it !

My suspicions began as I had gained chassis sill speed bump clearence on a low coilovered car .

grumpy-grandpa-waving-bye-smiley-emoticon.gif

I can see you're still struggling with this and find the concept of tyres are not produced to precise sizes difficult .

Like I say not many uncover it .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom