LPG Conversion - Now Seriously Paying Off!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blicky_1

Car
BMW F10 520d M-Sport
Hi all,

Not been around here for a while (have been driving around everywhere using this gas!!) lol

As some of you will know I had my W210 E200 Komp converted in October last year now after 6 months it is fully paid off and I'm enjoying very cheap fuel prices!! Performance is still as good as unleaded and I now only put around £10-15 of the gold fuel (unleaded) in per mth. to get me started in the mornings. The car is now just over 75k miles and 5yrs old.

What with the fuel prices reaching/going over the £1pl price I am very happy I had it done when I did. My installer says they now have a 2-3 month waiting list for installation.

LPG has gone up slightly to around 42.9ppl (from 39.9) in my area but it is stilll only costing me around £22-23 to go 300 miles :)

I claim 35ppm business miles and most months (around 1500mls) I'm clearing £300 profit on the cost of the gas against my tax free business miles payment (minus running costs) It's like having a large pay rise or half the mortgage paid per month!!

All I can say if you do the miles and are considering it don't hesitate get it done/booked in ASAP!!

Cheers
Steve....

Problem is though that if lots of people switched to LPG then the government would apply a similar level of taxation as they do to petrol and diesel (they'd have to, or lose a huge amount of revenue).

BTB 500 said:
Problem is though that if lots of people switched to LPG then the government would apply a similar level of taxation as they do to petrol and diesel (they'd have to, or lose a huge amount of revenue).

Yep I fully agree but that will never happen as most people don't even know much about it, can't afford the installation or think diesel is the better option:crazy:

I heard that in the budget the duty on LPG has been frozen until 2008/9

Now that mine is paid for I'm sure I can enjoy cheap motoring for some time to come! :D

BTB 500 said:
LPG duty goes up 2.25 pence per litre on September 1st. Then it will rise 1p per litre a year compared to petrol/diesel duty until 2008/9.

Oh well I can live with that as normal fuel will go up the same if not more! :)

Taken fron the Greenfuel web site: -

Latest News
FURTHER GOVERNMENT COMMITMENT TO LPG - 22nd March 2006

The Government demonstrated its long term commitment to LPG in the Chancellor’s 2006 budget.

In an endorsement of the environmental advantages, especially air quality in urban areas, the chancellor announced a continuation of the existing differential arrangement in the fuel duty between LPG and petrol / diesel through to 2009. This means that the price of LPG at the pumps will continue at around half the price of petrol and diesel for the foreseeable future.

Tom Fidell, Director General of the LP Gas Association said ”This is a clear message of support for LPG for the long term which gives motorists and fleet managers the confidence to purchase LPG vehicles and contribute to a cleaner motoring environment”.

Last edited:
blicky_1 said:
Oh well I can live with that as normal fuel will go up the same if not more! :)

Perhaps I didn't explain that very clearly.

In September the duty on LPG goes up by 2.25p per litre. That's a bigger increase than applied to petrol & diesel, so LPG will become a bit more expensive - compared to them.

Then until 2008/2009 the duty on LPG goes up 1p per litre a year compared to the duty on petrol/diesel. So if duty on petrol/diesel goes up 1.5p, LPG goes up 2.5p. If petrol/diesel duty doesn't go up, LPG duty goes up 1p per litre.

So ... until the 2008/2009 budget LPG will remain significantly cheaper than normal fuels, although the difference is slowly being reduced (by increasing the rate of duty). After that, no guarantees.

BTB 500 said:
So ... until the 2008/2009 budget LPG will remain significantly cheaper than normal fuels, although the difference is slowly being reduced (by increasing the rate of duty). After that, no guarantees.

Yep get your point but I only plan to keep the car until 2008/09 as it has covered 75k and i'm doing 30k per year min :eek:

All my point is that it is the cheapest form of running a car (for me anyway)for now. As for the future who knows?? I will worry about that when it comes:rolleyes:

my dad had a volvo on lpg in the 80's which was fine but then the government put up the tax and cost also lpg is a by product from oil thus no oil then no lpg
i had a c class on lpg 5 yrs ago it lasted 200 k then the vales burnt out lpg runs way too hot for most engines bio diesel is the way forward easy to make and store ie rape seed

Nice one Steve!

So far this year I have saved £1414 and covered 13k. better than that though, running LPG I have created 1.5 tonnes LESS CO2 !!!

Simon

Regarding burnt out valves, I think you might find that happends on the older style systems (Non Multipoint)

Seamster15 said:
Regarding burnt out valves, I think you might find that happends on the older style systems (Non Multipoint)

Yea and if all that happened was burnt out valves at 200k then you did well! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom