LPG on a 190E. Anyone done it? Is it successful?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rullingen

Car
190E 2.0 Auto 1992
If anyone has recently fitted LPG to their 190E 2.0 I'd be very interested to know how you got on, where you got the parts and if you're pleased with the result.

Thanks, Rullingen.

I had my 190e 2.6 converted to a single point Romano LPG system professionally 3.5 years ago at a cost of £1000. Has covered 60k miles with very few problems. Two weeks ago had the first breakdown when it backfired, bent the plate on the Air Flow Meter and had to have a replacement fitted. Other than that, and a tendency to stall on occasion when slowing from motorway speed to a stop, it's been a good investment. Best advice is to contact a registered LPG fitter nearest to you and discuss. Only worth doing if you cover high miles.

I have a pal in Scotland who removed the LPG system from his W124 when he disposed of the car. I think he still has the complete system which may be available if you can find a professional prepared to fit it and get a certificate for the installation. Let me know if you're interested and I'll put you in touch with him. He's a top bloke and has owned and maintained his own Mercedes for years.

Last edited:
I concur, our scottish friend is a top bloke ;)

I would certainly be interested if the parts were fully compatible.
I don't know how similar the W124 is to the W201. I suppose it depends on which engine is fitted. Does the W124 also use the K-Jetronic system?

Do you know where the venturi is fitted on your system? Is it before or after the mass-air flow gauge?

Ahem. :cool:. The 124 system I have spare is from a K Jetronic 230. The venturi (which resembles a gas cooker ring) sits on top of the jetronic air intake and under the airfilter.

Rullingen..where are you based?

Rullingen is in....

I'm in Evesham, Worcestershire.

it's interesting where you say it mounts. A friend of mine who has an XJS with LPG predicted it would sit in front off the air flow meter, but I doubted this as I thought the air flow would be too slow through such a large aperture. I was wrong.

I need to find out what version of K Jetronic I have.

How did it perform?

Rullingen.

The gas ring thingy has it's own venturi (considerably smaller in diameter than the air flap) which must increase the airspeed and varies the demand for gas. Performance is slightly down on standard petrol but hardly noticible. Consumption up by approx 10% versus petrol but easily made up by price differential.

Last edited:
Hi Druk,

How much are you after for your LPG kit and what does it comprise?

Rullingen.

When I had my Range Rover Classic the previous owner had a so called 'professional' fit the LPG system, I ran it for a few months with quite a few problems before taking it to a chap in Runcorn, he condemned it as the vaporizer had been fitted about four inches from one of the manifolds :doh:

So I ordered a new system from TinlyTech and fitted it myself, what helped with the reliability was plumbing the vaporizer in-line with the heater pipes, it used to start on gas in the coldest of weather. I took it back to the chap at Runcorn to get it certified and he said I'd made a better job than many businesses that do it for a living; it did take me a week though and I took my time, something which most firms haven't got the benefit of I know.

I would definitely fit another system with whatever car I end up with next (I mean Mercedes :D)

I can recommend the LPG forum if anyone wants to fit their own :thumb:

Hi Druk,

How much are you after for your LPG kit and what does it comprise?

Rullingen.

I have the complete kit. Everything required except the copper pipe. Even an 80litre tank although it has some gas in it and that would preclude getting it from Scotland to Evesham.
We should discuss this off-forum. You don't have sufficient post to use the PM system so contact Admin and ask to be put in touch with my email.

Tried it twice and it came back at me with a SMTP error message.

I'll register, no probs.

Edit. Can't register without membership. I've asked the admin on here for contact. Patience Laddie. ;) :D

Last edited:
PM now enabled for Rullingen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom