LSD Aftermarket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

F1AMG

Car
C63 AMG PPP
So I've had my C63 PPP a few months and looking to tinker with it a little bit. I think my first "upgrade" is going to be a Quaife LSD. Rational is I'd rather have this on my car to put the power down before getting it mapped..

With that being said, any recommendations of where to get this done and ideas about price (London based but willing to travel)?

Also people that have gone from non LSD to LSD is it worth it?

Also people that have gone from non LSD to LSD is it worth it?
My first E63 was a PPP car which had the AMG locking diff as standard. Then I bought my current car which had an open diff. It took me all of two weeks to decide that it really needed an LSD and I had a Quaife fitted by Birds. It's probably the single most cost effective performance upgrade you can make on these cars, imo.

BTW, Birds' service was excellent.

What the two people above have said is good info.

It was the first mod I did on mine and it improved the handling considerably. It also made the little yellow dash light a lot less conspicuous. :)

MSL did mine for me though, as suggested above, Birds are closer to you.

When I had mine done on the CL55 we had a group buy from Birds.

I would like to have one fitted on the CL 5.5 biturbo. If there is any interest I could speak to Olly ( PCS ) and see if could organise a group buy.

As mentioned what a transformation it made to the handling on the 55, the car just felt more plated and that little yellow light was very hard to illuminate !!

Last edited:
Having had a lsd standard on e39 m5 you can get the back out at will also lol if the time and place allows it can be quite fun. It's a mod I have thought about on my e55K but have to say mine feels very planted to say the least. I personally don't drive crazy but I do Like to use the loud pedal now and again.

It something I have been thinking on though.

Forgot to add have also used birds few times with a previous b10 v8 Alpina, and recommend them. Top guys.

Hey Peter - I'm interested and I've also got another friend who is too. Might be worth getting a quote to see what they can do.

I am considering fitting a LSD to my C63, so I would be interested to know how much and where people are getting these fitted. Then a before and after write up would be great.

Just did a search and there was a group buy this time last year.

Birds needed a minimum of five orders. The price then was £ 893 for parts ( including delivery within the UK ) and £ 1,302 for Birds fitting inclusive of VAT.

There are plenty of before and after write ups if you search Quaife.

No personal experience, but from my web-based research prior to buying a Quaife diff it appears that the theoretical advantages of the Wavetrac don't translate to real-world benefits on the road. Some do say that the car feels a little different at the limit on a track, but that wasn't relevant to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have sent Kevin Bird a message, see what he comes up with.

It's the best upgrade you can do by a long way. A Quaife has transformed the traction for me.

I'll be getting this done to my CLS 55 before August!

Here are 3 of my posts from other threads

My previous C55 ran on Conti Sports and an open diff, changed to Michi Pilots and it changed things, I then added the Quaife, which helped again.
It wasn't a radical change whereby I gained 50% grip more a case of 10/20% more off the line in the wet, a lot better under braking.
High powered RWD and cold, damp or wet roads is always going to be the compromise.
I had P Zero's on my current car and didn't like the feed back, now on Michi Pilots and rate them, overall I rarely hear poor reports of Michi Pilots and I've used them on a few of my cars.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My C55 was tricky to drive in poor weather, it was best exploited on a warn dry day, then, I had the LSD installed, it tied the rear and front together but still suffered in poor conditions. When I say tricky, not pushing on like an idiot more along the lines of pulling away at busy junctions, over taking from slower speeds, turn in on wet roads, normal every day driving.
It was biased as a fast road car NOT a track day weapon, on the roads it was fine to drive and you had to moderate your style to adapt to the conditions.
My replacement 996 turbo is 4WD and in all the above situations it requires little to no moderation to driving style, this could possibly be a combination of factors, chassis related rather than just the 4WD system.
Some have clearly purchased the 63 for the event, others to scratch an itch, it's a personal thing but there is no escaping the 63 is a handful and needs lots of moderation in anything other than normal weather conditions, I'm sure it's a real hoot in summer with the LSD.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have a performance RWD car then the ATB should be one of the first modification made, I would never own another RWD AMG without one installed.

Big thank you to Paul for a great price and service and to PCS for there usual A1 customer care, I dropped my car off Tuesday morning and collected today, courtesy car was a nice touch.
I've driven plenty of cars with a Quaife installed so more or less knew what to expect, my C55 already has many modifications to enhance the handling, the coilovers are fantastic, C63/SLK55 brake upgrade, power delivery is as you expect with any V8 AMG and prior the Quaife I was very pleased with the way the car performed.
The diff has tied in the rear end, more feel, positive and progressive when you turn in on the throttle, very little intervention from the traction control, yes the light flickers but no intervention, I love the front end turn in with the coilovers but it always felt like the back end was a couple of steps behind, trying to catch up at it's own pace, now I can feel the synergy between front and back, very predictable.
Most comments I've read in this thread refer to the increased off the line traction, yes this has improved and enormous amount but for me the bigger story is how it has transformed the balance of the car, as expected, one of the best modifications made to the car.

I've been pondering having an LSD installed since we bought our C63 in October 2015.
Will probably go for it around March and leaning towards the Wavetrack just to be different really.

Had a Quaife diff fitted to my C63 and it's definitely the best mod you can do. In summer on 265 rears, I can get the power down perfectly.

Had it fitted at CPP Motor Developments in Sandbach Cheshire

I'd be very interested in a quaife Diff group buy with Birds
My E500 biturbo is in serious need of more traction, fed up of seeing traction control lights on the dash!!

You can put me down on any new quaife lsd group buy list here. Was probably going to go to birds anyway.

Is there any need for a heat diffuser with the quaife? Is there a suitable option available if so?

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom