LSD for E55 - worth it?

Discussion in 'AMG Lounge' started by AngryDog, Jul 21, 2017.

1. AngryDog

AngryDog Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E60 M5
    Is it worth getting an LSD for my E55? My M5 has an LSD and less power, but I havent really had chance to open the taps on the E55 much yet.

Cheers.

2. nickjonesn4

nickjonesn4 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E55K AMG Wagon, MK 7 Golf R, Porsche 993 C2S
    There's a lot of threads on this from over the years which would be worth reading through as you'll find pretty much most of the main mods covered in a lot of detail.

Think most (but not all) would agree that an LSD makes a massive positive difference especially in the wet.

1 person likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    AngryDog

AngryDog Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E60 M5
    Thanks Nick. I did a search for LSD but as always there were lots of threads that didn't fully answer my question, or I just didn't look hard enough!

4. AMGeed

AMGeed MB Club Veteran

Car:
    2014 E63 Biturbo
    Daveenty with his 850+bhp E63 reckons its was the best upgrade he did. Start with a Quaife LSD then you can put the power down.

Search for Quaife parts | Birds

5. John

John MB Club Veteran

Car:
    I wish.
    I considered it on my E55.

However, I never had any problems getting the car around quickly including on a track with a racing driver, so I figured the benefit for the times when it was wet or slippery weren't really worth the outlay.

I also read of them not being quite as smooth at slower speeds as the standard diff which put me off.

Similarly with the TCU update... makes slower speed changes a bit less smooth.

I didn't want to risk upsetting the car and I was probably only driving the car hard 10% of the time too.

I believe in learning how to handle a car i.e. with weight transfer and how to drive round corners quickly as well as a good set of premium tyres!

I also saw an employee of Quaiffe in Argos once and he was fing rude to them so that also annoyed me.

6. nickjonesn4

Car:
    I would agree its the best mod I have made to my car (or maybe tied with the headers) and I think its vital if you live somewhere like Scotland!!

7. nickjonesn4

Car:
    Have a search for Quaife instead as that's the most popular one

8. Alps

Alps MB Club Veteran

Car:
    E55 2004 Silver, E63 Weistec AMG(SOLD), E55 2004 Silver(SOLD), C36 AMG 1997 (SOLD)
    Mines one of the few that had the factory LSD option fitted, never had one without so cant tell if its worth adding or not

9. Alex

Alex Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S65, E55TT & RR 5.0 SC
    If you want a sub £300 LSD that actually works really well, look at Kleemann 60% locking LSD. I've had it in mine before changing the diff and it was fine. A forum member bought it off me and was very happy with its performance.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. SMed08

SMed08 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E55k AMG
  11. Alex

Alex Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    S65, E55TT & RR 5.0 SC
    That's something else. The one I'm talking about looks like above and has p/n 051 113 01 37. It's two blocks and a set of spring. The springs push the blocks apart and lock the planetary gears. Very clever design actually and it works. Some machining to be done to the gears to fit the blocks but nothing major.

12. kopkid

kopkid Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    w211 e55 amg
    Yes I bought that kleemann diff off you great difference is immense

Tags: