LSD not required?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

H20 MRV

Car
RS4
Hi All,

I have taken my 507 and now my 2012 C63 coupe to the limits on highland roads and had no problems with grip or drive at all,
And as I will never take the car on a track what's the advantage of a LSD?

I have no experience of this....But after speaking with Andy (Eurocharged) at Trax this year he told Suky Sanga to fit one to his CLS and that it would transform the car.

Tony.

Hi All,

I have taken my 507 and now my 2012 C63 coupe to the limits on highland roads and had no problems with grip or drive at all,

Tested in the wet?

Hi All,

Classic case of the car out performing the driver ?

:p

Drive one with an LSD and then come back and tell us what differences you find.

Grip is the main one. Mine was OK without it but, as mentioned above by Tony, it transforms the car. Even for road use coming out of side streets and joining traffic, I used to get loads of wheelspin with the traction light being practically a permanent feature.

And as for the wet, it was practically undriveble if you wanted to make progress.

I don't drive like an idiot (hopefully, and in my opinion) though do like to plod on a bit where road and traffic conditions allow, and with the diff (Quaife) in it allows the car to be driven as it should be. I can't remember the last time the traction light came on (OK, not trying hard enough :D ) but the car just seems so much more planted now.

Try having a run in one with LSD fitted and you'll definitely notice a difference.

Quaife made a big difference for mine especially in the wet , just made it more predictable

Hi All,

Main thing you will notice is how little you feel the ESP cut in, both straight line and more importantly coming out of bends. Confidence grows very quickly as you get to feel so much more grip allowing greater control of the throttle. Many have said the car feels more balanced.

Anytime you fancy coming to Scotland and seeing how well you do against me round ben nevis / west coast / or in the highlands you more than welcome.

Classic case of the car out performing the driver ?

:p

thanks for the input, As to the traction light, I am running wider wheels with 245 front and 275 Michelin super sports and don't seem to have the same traction issues as with the std wheels and tyres.

Post install roundabouts and corner exits will never be the same again :). Also, if you drive yours throughout the winter too, you'll also benefit from the added traction and safety in snow and ice.

For the cost of fitting an LSD it's one of the best 'bang for buck' modifications you can do to a high performance rear wheel drive car.

cheers, Steve

I found it made a massive difference, car felt much more planted and I was running the same tyre size as yourself. Imo one of the best mods I did to the car.

Shame I didn't take it out of the car before I traded it in but it cost me £1k just to get it fitted from mackie transmissions. So was cost effective just to leave it in.

My C32 AMG had an LSD and it did feel better with very little wheel spin, compare that to my C55 AMG which use to slide everywhere, even in the dry.

Anytime you fancy coming to Scotland and seeing how well you do against me round ben nevis / west coast / or in the highlands you more than welcome.
you do know that racing on a public highway will probably see you jailed

you do know that racing on a public highway will probably see you jailed

He never actually stated that - could be talking about cycling together on mountain bikes or playing Poker... :D

Mines got lsd and if I have the esp on it's always flashing up coming out of corners. To be honest I think esp or any traction control on cars destroys your ability to learn how to drive properly so I tend to have mine off most of the time. It was important to me to have the LSD option but I really wouldn't see the point if you never messed with that nutter button in the middle of the dash. I've had high powered cars without LSD and to be honest unless I'm sliding sideways round a bend on a private road I wouldn't notice much of a difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom