Lube advice: E-class 3.0td.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mikeyboy

Good morning.

I pick up my new (to me) E-class 3.0 TD on Friday morning.

I am eager to get my hands dirty and want to start with making sure all the lubes are up to date.

Can anyone help with the details of the lubes for the auto 'box, diff and engine.

Also, I would like to know if there are better lubes available which are considered an improvement over MB standard ones.

I used to run a LR Defender and used synthetic lubes in its transmission which had a great effect.

Thanks.

Mike.

Hi

Mobil 1 5W 40 Turbo Diesel in engine nearly 9 litres!!
Gearbox MB oil only. 7.4 litres with TC drain
Diff Miller Synthetic 75/ 90 1.1 litres

Thats what i use and have had no probs. I do engine every 10K, gearbox 30-50K, diff every 30K.

Good luck with your new motor. Feel free to ask anytime.

Thanks for your advice, 230K.

It is good to know help is there.

I shall get some of the Mobil and get the gearbox oil at the same time as the filters.

The Millers I will order from them direct as we use them at work.

Lastly, can I ask, is there a filter on the gearbox on these?

Can you grease the props like you can with Land Rovers?

Thanks.

Mike.

Use Millers XFD engine oil as well. It's a good oils an being diesel specific is better than Mobil1 for less money.
Whilst at it order some Power Plus as well for the fuel.

It should be 8 litres of engine oil for a full fill.

Already got some of their Power +.

I don't mind how much it costs but I do want what is best for the engine.

Are these motors ok on fully synthetic? Is the Millers XFD fully synthetic?

Thanks.

Lastly, can I ask, is there a filter on the gearbox on these?

Can you grease the props like you can with Land Rovers?

Thanks.

Mike.

Yes there is a filter in the gearbox and you need to remove gearbox sump possibly best to get sump gasket while your at it. There is an electrical plug on the gearbox from drivers side of box that can leak if it leaks best to change it when you have the sump off.

No grease nipples on the prop. shaft the only "Hardy Spicer" is at the centre bearing and you can't even see it unless you remove exhaust shields. Just 2 big rubber donuts one at gearbox and one at diff.

The oil is down to preference any good fully synthetic will be fine. Its personal preference.

Dont forget to get under her and waxoyl all especially front cross member wings behind the head lights etc etc

Thanks,

I have 2 5 litre cans of clear Waxoyl that I planned to use on my Defender but that got wrote off so I'm sure some will find it's way onto the Merc.

How do you know if it is the model with the better paint/30 year warranty?

Thanks.

Mike.

If it was registered after 20th october 1998 it was/is covered by Mobilo-Life.

For the waxoyl mix it with Millers rust preventative oil, it works MUCH better. Get the heaviest grade of rust oil.

Hi

When doing your rust prevention it is best to remove the 4 wheel arch liners etc and get the bits you cant see. Another place is the void where i assume the second silencer box goes on the saloon you will notice it when under there, it is under the rear passenger seat they seem to have little rust protection in that area.

Hi

The manual says 8 litres for an oil and filter change. I let mine drain overnight from hot and 8 litres from experience doesnt bring it to the max . Mobil 1 sell in 4 litre packs and point i was trying to make is that 2 might leave you needing more thats all.

Should never takes more than 7.5 litres as some stays in the cooler.

Hi

Only going on what i have found 8 litres isnt enough for mine. :(
At the end of the day fill it to underside of full mark.

Good luck with it Mikeyboy.

Hmm, well its 7.5 litres in mine - any more and it goes well over the max mark.

Thanks chaps.

If I buy the Mobil then I'd probably buy three cans to allow for consumption in between servicing which I hope won't be much!!

Thanks again, chaps.

I have a ton more questions but don't want to fill the forum up with them and I haven't actually taken delivery of her yet!

That will be tomorrow afternoon.

Mike.

Mikeyboy

Ask away at questions that is what the forum is for. We will get it correct to within a litre;) ;) .
Use the Private message service if need be.

Oil consumption is a hit and miss thing mine doesnt use enough between services to need added to. Some with less miles will and some wont.

Hmm, well its 7.5 litres in mine - any more and it goes well over the max mark.

Do you drain with the car sitting level? Or is she up on ramps at the front? I drain mine while on the 2 post ramp which would make a difference.

See attachment Autodata and the owners manual say 8 litres.

What is the number on your dipstick 60214? I could have the wrong dipstick in mine???

Thanks,

Attachments

• oil capacity.pdf
    90.7 KB · Views: 8
Hi

Update; Changed the oil in my E300Td during the week and it to 8.3litres exactly and that is it filled to about 5mm below the full mark.
Oil was drained on a 2 post ramp on a hot engine and left to drain for about 45 mins.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom