lubricating the throttle cable..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jeffreyli86

Car
94' W124 E220, 96' VW Golf VR6
Hi all,
Recently my W124 E220's throttle had became rather rough when you step on it. It used to be quite smooth so I was thinking whether it needs some lubrication on the throttle cable (is that what you call it?). If so, would anyone please give me some details as how to do it and what sort of lubrication I should use?

Thanks a lot,
Jeff

jeffreyli86 said:
Hi all,
Recently my W124 E220's throttle had became rather rough when you step on it. It used to be quite smooth so I was thinking whether it needs some lubrication on the throttle cable (is that what you call it?). If so, would anyone please give me some details as how to do it and what sort of lubrication I should use?

Thanks a lot,
Jeff

First check whether there is any debris under the accelerator pedal and whether there is any kinks in the cable. If so this will give the same effect mate.

If that is OK, then if you can disconnect the cable at the Carburretor end, then holding it vertically drizzle cycle oil down the cable , moving the cable in and out to help it down. Keep going for a few minutes and hopefully some oil will get down most of the cable. Reconnect and work the throttle up and down to help the oil disperse along the cable. Job done.

not sure but you may find that its still rough. It may be that the cable inner is worn hence a new cable may be needed - heres hoping thats not the case, good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom