Lubrication....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baron_Samedi

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK200K
Something I was wondering as I was washing the car the other day....

Could the folding mirror mechanism do with a little lubrication to ease its traverse?

What do you think?

My W210 wing mirror came off a while back and I can say that there was still grease on the rack and pinion bit of it.

Could be worth a look while they are folded in, but seeing as these Mercedes know what they are going, constantly fix their own problems, you may make it angry :)

Ian

Maybe worth slapping some grease in there, if only so you can have a Saturday morning tinker with the car. Maybe worth doing the pins that the mirror rotates around too.

I too like to do the same, to ensure smooth running on bits of car.

:)

Thats all it is... tinkering... but I do like things just so.

Out of curiosity, what grease do you use?

Ta

Gary

I give mine a spray with WD40/3-in-1 every now and then. Put the little tube on and give it a few bursts inside the mirror body. Makes for quieter, smoother operation as well.
I also give a quick burst to the boot/bonnet mechanisms, around the wipers and door strikers and hinges and anywhere else where I think it might do some good like door handles, sunroof mechanism etc..etc....

Last edited:
Getting personal now :)

I have some castrol something or other. For some things I use my purple bike grease. Not sure it will matter as long as it does not wash off and it's not too thick.

I am sure there must be a thread on this somewhere.

Ian

Haha!

Okay, will look for something at Halfrauds :)

Ta

Gary

Wifes 203 silicone spray on the mirror rubbers makes them fold a lot easier and quieter.

Lynall

Cheers Lynall!

Sounds like a bit of lube won't go amiss :eek:

Hi all,

I'd second the WD40 suggestion, based on experience with the one mirror which currently folds - I'm assuming it'll work equallly well when I get the second folding mirror in place...

Cheers,
Eddie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom