Lycra and Manners do not seem compatible

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JohnC

Car
2012 E350 Convertible
I'm a cyclist (but not at the moment - the hernia repair has failed) so I was driving along a route I often cycle, where the road is quite narrow and there is a level crossing. I was stopped at the gates waiting for a couple of trains to cross, when I noticed two MAMIL'S cycle up to the front of the three cars that were waiting on the opposite side and adopt "primary" position - i.e. right in front of the first car. When the gates finally lifted they set off (two abreast) so the following cars would not have chance to overtake for some time! It would have cost them only a matter of seconds to allow the three cars to pass before they themselves set off - but they have now managed to p*** off three more motorists! :fail

end of rant!!!!:mad:

You get cycle lanes which widen out in front of traffic light lines sometimes.

I can't imagine why someone thought that was a good idea - asking for road rage.

Reminds me a of clip of a cyclist falling out with an Audi driver and getting battered (albeit the cyclist did provoke the driver who themselves over-reacted).

never met nastier folk than cyclists on the road, must be them narrow seats puts them in bad moods all the while.

I must admit the cyclists that I witness as the generally more arrogant with the 'I'm more important' attitude tend to be the commuters with all the gear.

Get annoyed when they filter past traffic and someone doesn't spot them even when they put themselves in harms way.

Not all but many are like this. Central London where I work being a hub for them.

Being a very keen cyclist and also loving my cars and driving, i'm afraid to say we are all as bad as each other!! I get equally annoyed on my bike with poor drivers as i do in my car with arrogant/ignorant cyclists.

Like all road use in this country, it is poor standards that cause the conflict/accidents.

It only takes a small minority to blacken the reputation of the vast majority.

Definitely - i like to think that i'm actually a pretty considerate cyclist. Not jumping queues or overtaking on the left, try not to impede motorists or get in their way.

But then another people carrier who absolutely, has to overtake me (usually realising that they are now speeding in the process so they brake, swerve and drive me into the kerb/ditch/parked car) hits me on the elbow with their wing mirror and the red mist descends i'm afraid :devil:

Obviously not all people carrier drivers are like this......

Try driving through Richmond Park, it's MAMIL nirvana and it seems the speed limits or give way instructions simply don't apply to them.

Definitely - i like to think that i'm actually a pretty considerate cyclist. Not jumping queues or overtaking on the left, try not to impede motorists or get in their way.

But then another people carrier who absolutely, has to overtake me (usually realising that they are now speeding in the process so they brake, swerve and drive me into the kerb/ditch/parked car) hits me on the elbow with their wing mirror and the red mist descends i'm afraid :devil:

Obviously not all people carrier drivers are like this......

No? :D

My latest run in with a Lycra clad lout was on a tarmac shared pedestrian/cyclist path in the country.

Chap was clad in all the racing gear, coming at us like the clappers. Called the dog back, but he got a bit scared by the bike and ended up crossing his path trying to get away. Said cyclist had to use his brakes and came up with all sorts of language.

If he'd kept his race speed away from a path that had dogs and children on board far safer from everyone.

Cyclists can appear to be selfish on times.

Where I live there is a busy road that runs around the bay, there is a cycle path along it's length which is shared 50:50 with pedestrians, there is a solid white line to separate the two.

Some cyclists, the Lycra clad exclusively, refuse to use the path because errant pedestrians slow them down sometimes so they use the road instead and slow other traffic down.

Cyclists can appear to be selfish on times.

Where I live there is a busy road that runs around the bay, there is a cycle path along it's length which is shared 50:50 with pedestrians, there is a solid white line to separate the two.

Some cyclists, the Lycra clad exclusively, refuse to use the path because errant pedestrians slow them down sometimes so they use the road instead and slow other traffic down.

Does this cycle path cut across side roads,like this one
https://goo.gl/maps/LdX7MahSab82
In which case I understand why cyclists don't use it. From what i can tell most cycle paths/lanes have been designed by someone who has never used a bike for more than a 1 mile trip if ever.

My latest run in with a Lycra clad lout was on a tarmac shared pedestrian/cyclist path in the country.

Chap was clad in all the racing gear, coming at us like the clappers. Called the dog back, but he got a bit scared by the bike and ended up crossing his path trying to get away. Said cyclist had to use his brakes and came up with all sorts of language.

If he'd kept his race speed away from a path that had dogs and children on board far safer from everyone.

And this is my point above. Despite being a cyclist and loving it I fully accept that there are some right d1cks about!! :wallbash:

Does this cycle path cut across side roads,like this one
https://goo.gl/maps/LdX7MahSab82
In which case I understand why cyclists don't use it. From what i can tell most cycle paths/lanes have been designed by someone who has never used a bike for more than a 1 mile trip if ever.

No, it's 22 miles along the bay so only the sea on one side and nowhere for a road to cross to.

It was originally a footpath and is well maintained.

You're damned if you do (post #12) and damned if you don't (post #13). I for one will be guilty of both using a shared path and not using an available shared path in favour of a nice smooth road on my commute home this evening (as I do every evening). I apologise in advance for both heinous crimes.

You're damned if you do (post #12) and damned if you don't (post #13). I for one will be guilty of both using a shared path and not using an available shared path in favour of a nice smooth road on my commute home this evening (as I do every evening). I apologise in advance for both heinous crimes.

Why is it that cyclists are labelled as chippy?

One of life's little mysteries.

No, it's 22 miles along the bay so only the sea on one side and nowhere for a road to cross to.

It was originally a footpath and is well maintained.

No real excuse then, have a bell on your bike to keep pedestrians aware you are coming.

To be honest I think people who going to be a d**k are going to act like one regardless of vehicle type.
Its a shame as the ratio of cars to bikes means that when a cyclist acts up its more memorable than poor driving, its only going to get worse as more of both end up on the poorly maintained roads

No real excuse then, have a bell on your bike to keep pedestrians aware you are coming.

To be honest I think people who going to be a d**k are going to act like one regardless of vehicle type.
Its a shame as the ratio of cars to bikes means that when a cyclist acts up its more memorable than poor driving, its only going to get worse as more of both end up on the poorly maintained roads

Exactly, I cycle 10 miles a day to and from work, each day im nearly hit by at least 1 car yet I dont feel the need to create a thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom