Lying dealership

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It was a straw poll, Rory.

And I think the point about expecting a little more customer service is a fair one. I've been going to that dealership for the past 3 years for servicing and I have to say, they have always stacked up less favourably than the BMW dealership I used with previous cars (and still do for Mrs RTR's car).

Some are better than others. I don't see anything wrong in sharing experiences on a forum as a heads up to others. Equally, if I got exemplary service and felt valued I'd be happy to promote that.
Purchased my car from new and had it serviced at the same dealer for 4 years & 2 x MOT. I do not expect any special treatment. Perhaps that is why I am never disappointed. ;)

Purchased my car from new and had it serviced at the same dealer for 4 years & 2 x MOT. I do not expect any special treatment. Perhaps that is why I am never disappointed. ;)
Who said anything about special treatment?

Im talking about customer service standards, doing what they say they will by the time they say, getting the basics right.

I don't expect the earth, far from it.

Who said anything about special treatment?

Im talking about customer service standards, doing what they say they will by the time they say, getting the basics right.

I don't expect the earth, far from it.
Perhaps your expectations are higher than mine........I expect a dealer to be useless (based on many years of owning “high end” cars).

I`m either just getting old, or too easily confused . You buy a car from dealer A) . When it has a problem you take it to dealer B) as he is closer to where you live . The problem is not covered by warranty . Dealer A) the seller , agrees to pay 72% . Dealer B) fixes it but as he did not sell you the car ( or the warranty) , why would he want to pick up the 28% , particularly as you only give him service work and buy your cars elsewhere?

I`m either just getting old, or too easily confused . You buy a car from dealer A) . When it has a problem you take it to dealer B) as he is closer to where you live . The problem is not covered by warranty . Dealer A) the seller , agrees to pay 72% . Dealer B) fixes it but as he did not sell you the car ( or the warranty) , why would he want to pick up the 28% , particularly as you only give him service work and buy your cars elsewhere?
Because all the “Johnny come lately” MB buyers think they are “special”.....oooooh look at me I have a Mercedes and every “fixer” has to support me.

I think the car was bought from dealer A.
He took it back to dealer B to fix it.
The warranty was issued by dealer A.
He thought dealer B should fix it for free as he used to be a customer.
The two dealerships may not be part of the same group.

Have I missed something ?

The two dealerships may not be part of the same group
That

Although both dealerships have a the big MB sign they could be totally different franchises, meaning independent businesses. So why would one business take the cost and hit from another business. it just won’t happen in any business

Surely any dealer will claim the cost from the manufacturer, regardless of where it was purchased from, if it’s a warranty claim.

Surely any dealer will claim the cost from the manufacturer, regardless of where it was purchased from, if it’s a warranty claim.
That`s the whole point , it was not covered by the MB warranty but the OP was expecting the repairing dealer to pick up the tab for 28% , after the supplying dealer paid the other 72%. Not going to happen whatever the franchise. Whether the issue should have been subject to warranty is a whole other minefield!

I think the car was bought from dealer A.
He took it back to dealer B to fix it.
The warranty was issued by dealer A.
He thought dealer B should fix it for free as he used to be a customer.
The two dealerships may not be part of the same group.

Have I missed something ?

The tradition used to be that if you bought a MB Approved Used car then you had warranty cover across the dealer network - different dealer ownserhsips / groups were not supposed to be an issue.

The 'warranty' as such was a MB warranty.

What seems to have happened over the last decade is that the AU system has broken down to what is in effect a third party warranty endorsed by MB as a whole - and some issues as to the extent of the cover andd how some of the costs are dealt with - which seems to mean the customer is more dependent on the supplying dealer to get a smooth ride if issues arise.

The tradition used to be that if you bought a MB Approved Used car then you had warranty cover across the dealer network - different dealer ownserhsips / groups were not supposed to be an issue.

What seems to have happened over the last decade is that the AU system has broken down to what is in effect a third party warranty endorsed by MB as a whole - and some issues as to the extent of the cover andd how some of the costs are dealt with - which seems to mean the customer is more dependent on the supplying dealer to get a smooth ride if issues arise.
Exactly this. Its a Mercedes Benz Warranty. Not a Stratstone or JCT600 or anyone else for that matter warranty.

To me, it shouldn't matter who picks it up to fix it. The car sounded like a jet engine, I wasn't too keen to drive it to the nearer Doncaster dealership let alone more than double the distance back to the Leeds one.

True, though in this particular case, the fault was not covered by the warranty offered by Mercedes Benz, according to the warranty's T&C which excludes wiring.

The fault is covered, however, under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 (and independent of any specific warranty that may have been offered by the manufacturer).

But the Consumer Rights Act 2015 only applies to the supplying dealer.

Where I agree that MB got this wrong, is in not trying to simplify the system for their customers. Technically MB are 100% within their legal rights, however their customers need an academic degree in Consumer Rights in order to navigate the MB warranty labyrinth.

And we haven't touched on MB's new car warranty... I seriously doubt that MB can legally exclude wiring from their new car warranty, so just to add to the mix, a customer buying an MB Approved Used car which is under 3 years old, is actually covered by three different warranties... :doh: ... each with different T&C. But most customers won't actually know about this or understand the differences.

BMW are going the same way ref wiring a friend has just bought a 2series (diesel) and fuel has entered the loom.the quote from BMW was around the 10k mark luckily BMW repaired it FOC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom