M Class Dilema

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dowtherz

Car
W209 CLK 350 Cab VW Golf GTE Volvo V90 CC
I currently having a 2006 SLK200 in black with CMD, Air Scarf etc. I'm tied in for another 40mths on the Finance Deal but could settle early. I've recently moved out to the sticks and although the terrain isn't impassable with the SLK, I feel I won't be getting value from the car especially in the Autumn/Winter. It does look great in the drive though! I have £8K to put into the following dilema:

1. Take the SLK back to MB, put an additonal £8K down and change for a new ML with top spec for £50PM cheaper than I'm paying for the SLK.

2. Keep it and buy a used M Class (e.g. 2000/2001) with the £8K for day to day motoring and keep the SLK for selfish pleasure!

3. As with 2. but switch to a Land Rover Discovery or Freelander.

Would appreciate your views :confused:

option 2 seems the logical choice and i know someone who currently has 5 ML's in his showroom ;)

Not wishing to rob Jaymanek of a sale, but I'd go for option 1!

I currently having a 2006 SLK200 in black with CMD, Air Scarf etc. I'm tied in for another 40mths on the Finance Deal but could settle early. I've recently moved out to the sticks and although the terrain isn't impassable with the SLK, I feel I won't be getting value from the car especially in the Autumn/Winter. It does look great in the drive though! I have £8K to put into the following dilema:

1. Take the SLK back to MB, put an additonal £8K down and change for a new ML with top spec for £50PM cheaper than I'm paying for the SLK.

2. Keep it and buy a used M Class (e.g. 2000/2001) with the £8K for day to day motoring and keep the SLK for selfish pleasure!

3. As with 2. but switch to a Land Rover Discovery or Freelander.

Would appreciate your views :confused:

1. I reckon that you would take a massive hit with your first option, thats if MB would simply take it back as I guess the dealer would simply take it of your hands at trade and settle the outstanding direct with MB. As far as I know, MB dont like hand-backs before the end of the term but I could be wrong.

Coincidentally, I'm going through a similar dilema but I seem to be cutting a reasonably decent and, (it has to be said), quite a fair deal with my local retailer against a 2008 model year SLK but, this involves a like for like, (very similar), exchange.

2. This sounds to me the best option because......

3. I have no experience of either of these.

Portzy.

What ever you do, dont get a Freelander or Discovery, you will never have any money in your pocket.

As a ML owner I am biased, but they are superb motors, not sure of the latest ones, I would opt for a later face lift model possibly an Inspiration, fully loaded, nice.

Unless you're moving to Iceland then the SLK will be fine. We get really poor weather so rarely. I've never been stranded with my SLK in nearly four years and I don't live inner city!! Had a couple of interesting drives - but moving to the sticks is not moving into the ice kingdom ;)

1. I reckon that you would take a massive hit with your first option, thats if MB would simply take it back as I guess the dealer would simply take it of your hands at trade and settle the outstanding direct with MB. As far as I know, MB dont like hand-backs before the end of the term but I could be wrong.

Portzy.

They have agreed to take it back but only leaves me with £500 equity in car once finance is settled, like you say I am taking a hit!

They have agreed to take it back but only leaves me with £500 equity in car once finance is settled, like you say I am taking a hit!

Thought so, but I didnt want to be nosey if you see what I mean.

In that case I would still advocate hanging on to the SLK that you have and seek out a decent used ML. Although I have no personal experience of the ML, one of my best mates has and he is well impressed with it.

I dont know what you paid for the SLK but up until quite recently discounts were hard to come by because of the waiting lists so, they all seemed to be going out the doors at top whack so I'm guessing here that you paid top dollar as I did. There's no waiting now, unless you want custom build and thats about ten weeks, so theres room for a haggle. All this though does not help with very new SLK residuals which are on a PCP.

If you are intent on a new ML I would haggle for a very sizeable discount of some sorts to offset the hit on the SLK.

After all that, keep the SLK, you know that ultimately it makes sense ;)

Portzy.

I have moved into the middle of nowhere and as such had to offload the cars for the time being.

My comment is this....

I want my SLK back.

This one. (*)
SLK.jpg

if you really want 4x4, get a panda for £8k. they are cheap and go anywhere when everyone else get stuck, if anyone else gets stuck.

(*) not actually that one, I know its owner and it got some use, but a new one that doesnt break down 6 times in 12 months, doesnt have an oil leak, doesnt need 2 new water pumps and a COMAND system and new PAS system and and and.

Last edited:
but a panda will be worth about 2p in as many years... an old ML will still be worth 75% of what you pay for it, at least...

Whatever you do don't ask anyone on this forum if you're considering a Range Rover! :D I'd imagine similar comments will be levied for the Discovery and Freelander options. Also, Freelanders look a bit rubbish.

If facelift MLs available for £8K, it might be okay, but if all you can get for that money are pre-facelift ones I wouldn't bother. My parents had one from new and it was rubbish.

option 2 seems the logical choice and i know someone who currently has 5 ML's in his showroom ;)

The deal is done then, a face lfited used ML for £8K ;)

I'm selling a John Deer Tractor, 1986 model with only 8,500 hours use.
Come's with a front loader, chain harrows and field roller.

But seriously, if you have 8k+car to part exchange, and maybe save a wee bit on payments, I'd keep what you have and buy a 2nd car.

Regards,

Alex.
P.S. I am really selling a John Deer Tractor

I want my SLK back.
Some barryboy nicked it :devil: AND don't tell me that link doesn't work, there are still a number of 'Wanted' posters on a number of the local lamp posts. :) Strangely enough one of our very close neighbours have now bought a black SLK, perhaps they were secretly impressed? In fact it is the first bungalow on the left in this video.

Regards
John

Last edited:
Glojo, can I just say that the definition of a 'barryboy' is an 18 year old lump of acne with too much money and not enough sense. ie buy a Corsa, stick fibreglass and stupid stickers all over it, paint it a ridiculous colour then drive round like you own the road! I think the ahem, 'people' you are referring too are known as 'twocers' and plenty of other terms of non-endearment!! I am too polite to type what I call them but am sure we all know what I mean!!

Have a look for yourself.... www.barryboys.co.uk

Hello,

As nice as your SLK is I would not have bought a new one, and not over that length of time...

How about a facelifted ML and the earlier SLK for fine days. You could have both on your drive for 20K easy. Private plate on each and away you go.

My dad recently sold his Black SLK230 for 8K it was on 60K miles but looked like new, AMG alloys, bose, red and black leather, auto, etc

Facelifted ML's pleanty around for 12K

Depends what you want I guess, but I'd rather have the option of both :)

As for the Freelander I had a TD4 Sport Premium with a 'chip' the last of the older shape, never let me down drove very well, looked good and did 35mpg. So not all bad...

Hi,

As a previous owner (from new) of facelifted ML (270CDi) and a current owner of an ML320 CDi if you want an ML, I can heartily recommend the 'new' ML :D .
IMHO it looks great, is very versatile, goes well, has proved reliable and doesn't drink too much fuel (27 - 28 mpg average).

I don't think you could get a half decent facelift ML for £8K :eek:

However I tend to agree with the sentiment that 'you ain't gone to Iceland' so your current car should be fine. If you want to cross fields and curry mucky loads/animals etc. then give the ML a go.

After all, it's only money.

Cheers,

John, that link didn't work on my PC but thats probably an issue with my PC.

I think the term you were really looking for is

"Scumbag"

id just take the hit and buy the ML.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom