M&S gone mad

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I presume M&S pay those members of staff less and all the customers are understanding! Ha, ha - the world is gone mad.

I think I would be a tad teasy if I queued up and waited my turn only to be asked to queue again at a different till . Total lunacy

I respect anybody for what they believe in but if their religious principles conflict with the job they take, why did they take the job in the first place ?

Maybe M&S should employ the Muslims that work in 'corner' shops. They don't have a concern selling anything to anybody.

It's this sort of crap that was designed to put wedges between folk.

I'm wondering if the vegetarians will be refusing to sell leather shoes next.

I used to go into the M&S Simply Food on the Earls Court Road (used to be a bookshop sic transit etc) and was regularly served by a young lady in a headscarf. She was so cheery and chatty. I'd hate to think by doing this M&S are going to make people think twice about queuing with ladies like her (of which there are many here in the Slough M&S food shop - all of whom are delightful).

Last edited:
So by rights no Hindus should have to serve beef burgers at McDonalds then, or any other restaurant!! Britain gone bonkers I think, please, the job is the job, if I don't like it I should get another job. Just my view - everyone else is entitled to differ with me if they want.

Probably only 1 or 2 kicking up ending with everyone being tarred with the same brush as usual. Will they respect the Sabbath/Holy days of all the respective religions to the point where some of their stores are closed for the day?

…..if I queued up and waited my turn only to be asked to queue again at a different till…..

I'm guessing that a sign (akin to the "cash only" or "max 5 items") could be displayed to avoid this problem.

Maybe M&S are doing their best in a multicultural society to accommodate everyone - it's an awkward position they are in, and they probably can't win whatever they do.

Maybe they are just the first, and other shops will follow suit - it really needn't be an insurmountable problem, as supermarkets already have under 18 assistants who cannot deal with alcohol sales - and after all the founders of M&S themselves knew about religious persecution so maybe M&S is the best store to start this policy.

It's also worth pointing out that the headline is "can refuse", so it's up to the feelings of the individual member of staff.

BTW - I'm glad to see that this is not degenerating into a racist thread - good to see that everyone is staying mature on this topic (but I bet the mods are biting their fingernails)…..

Last edited:
Christian B&B owners cannot choose who stays in their house but Muslim shop assistants can choose who they serve.

Sounds fair to me.

Actually... we need more of this.

It is not about militant Muslims taking their employer to a tribunal, or about ridiculous government PC laws and regulations.... it is about employers behaving sensibly, reaching a mutually agreed compromise that takes into account the needs of the employer and the sensitivities of certain employees, all this without need for legislation or confrontation.

And different employers chose different solutions - demonstrating that the world can revolve quite peacefully as long as people on all sides are willing to be sensible and reasonable. This should be applauded.

EDIT: just saw Meldrew2's post - we seem to have similar ideas - glad I am not alone...

Last edited:
Christian B&B owners cannot choose who stays in their house but Muslim shop assistants can choose who they serve.

Sounds fair to me.

Not exactly. The shop assistants can choose what they serve, but not to whom.

if this happened to me in M&S I would simply walk away from the till leaving the entire contents of the trolley for the other staff who will handle the offensive goods to put back on the shelves​

How long will it be before we have, in addition to cash only tills, Muslim acceptable products, Kosher products only and Hindu only sales tills?

Sounds fair to me.

Please note that M&S reached an amicable agreement - through mutual concent - no one is forcing, or being forced to do anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom