M1 Northbound - Elstree to Watford

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jeremytaylor

MB Enthusiast
Car
E280CDI Sport Est., CLK 200k Cab., VW T5 174, Citroen C8, and a 2CV!
This section of the M1 drops down a gentle hill (there's a crawler lane on the opposite southbound carriageway), and for a long time there was a problem with water flooding across the carriageway. This section has, I understand, just had major works to improve drainage, doubtless at considerable cost.

Well it was a complete waste of money. This morning there was a full river crossing the carriageway. This caused at least one car (BMW 1-series) to aquaplane, hit the barrier and then hit other cars, etc., causing the road to be shut for 1.5 hours. Muggins here was sat in the queue, trying to top my high score on the phone's computer game (engine off;) ).

I hope no-one was hurt.

But I also hope that next time Highways Agency carry out some improvement works, they actually design a scheme that works!

This section of the M1 drops down a gentle hill (there's a crawler lane on the opposite southbound carriageway), and for a long time there was a problem with water flooding across the carriageway. This section has, I understand, just had major works to improve drainage, doubtless at considerable cost.

Well it was a complete waste of money. This morning there was a full river crossing the carriageway. This caused at least one car (BMW 1-series) to aquaplane, hit the barrier and then hit other cars, etc., causing the road to be shut for 1.5 hours. Muggins here was sat in the queue, trying to top my high score on the phone's computer game (engine off;) ).

I hope no-one was hurt.

But I also hope that next time Highways Agency carry out some improvement works, they actually design a scheme that works!

And apart from commuters, that section is used by everyone wanting to get to the Watford shopping areas, and also this is where theM10 joins it, it was flooded this time last year

In reality it's not that simple.

A wide carriageway on a slope and with heavy rain will collect the water at the bottom irrespective of how good the drains are.
They can only absorb water once it gets to them.

So BMW driver drives through a depth of water fast enough to aquaplane. :rolleyes:

The work which was carried on the M1 there was for parapet repairs to the two bridges carrying the A41 and A5/M1-J4 exit and also central reservation works.

That water issue has been there for years and will stay that way unless the lift the M1 or dig new drains in the middle. What they need to do is put up some aquaplaning signs to forewarn the sales reps (ouch!) and normal road users...

That water issue has been there for years and will stay that way unless they dig new drains.

But I thought that is what they had done - dig a new drain above the motorway so the rain went down the drain, rather than across the motorway?

But I thought that is what they had done - dig a new drain above the motorway so the rain went down the drain, rather than across the motorway?
Wouldn't that be called an umbrella? :devil: ;)

Sorry about that

regards
John

So what was done. I thought it was about improving the drainage ?

HERES FROM THE HIGHWAYS AGENCY:

M1 Junction 4 to 5 Repairs
Located in: Area 5
Scheme type Other
The Project
Starting on 16th March we will be carrying out work on the M1 between junctions 4 and 5 to improve the condition of carriageway, provide a quieter and smoother surface that will benefit drivers and those living near to the motorway and greatly extend the life of the road. The works were completed on 24 June 2007.

Here's a link to the page

Nothing about drainage... guess nothing can be smoother than aquaplaning...

I think my brother got stuck in this, and with his Tom Tom Christmas pressie, navagated 'an alternative route', which, together with about 60 other cars took them all, in convoy, down a dead end road-Classic!!

I think my brother got stuck in this, and with his Tom Tom Christmas pressie, navagated 'an alternative route', which, together with about 60 other cars took them all, in convoy, down a dead end road-Classic!!

Hopefully at least one of them used the Map Share feature to correct the map and everyone can now download the updated map to avoid this happening again. Try doing that with any other Sat Nav.

Russ

there is a sign a few hundred yards before that says the road is prone to flooding after heavy rain (or something to that effect)

there is a sign a few hundred yards before that says the road is prone to flooding after heavy rain (or something to that effect)
That little sign must be the one that they use every year

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom