M102 230e W123 lump. Noisy hydro lifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fatherpierre

Car
1980 W123 230, 1994 W124 E280 & 2010 Mini Cooper S
As per title.

In a bit of a quandry. I've got a late 85 123 230e with lots of miles - 338k, to be precise.

Lifters are noisy and not sure if it's economical to have the head off to get them sorted......

Any other way (oil flush - using different grade of oil) to lessen the tapping rather than shell out on a car that's really earned its right to not be messed with!

I don't fancy shelling out hundreds of quid on it as it's a bit shabby, but on the other hand I'm attached to it and want to keep it. The fact it's LPG converted and my local station sell LPG @49.9p per litre really helps this car's future status!

It's showing low oil pressure once warm (1) and is probablay producing 70% of its as new power, but has lots of charachter :crazy:

I'm a bit confused at your question. I don't think you need to remove the head to renew the hydraulic tappets The camshaft yes the head no. Change the valve stem O ring oil seals while your are at it.

I thought it was a head off job for the lifters as they are tapping right at the top.

No expert on these - or any other engine but was advised it might be a head off job.

it is most likely that the cam shaft lobe is worn out if you take of the cam cover and look at the high lift parts on individual lobes you will probably see a couple worn out ,
if this is the case i would recomend a new cam and rockers and hydraulic elements , not cheap . have used euro car parts before and reasonable quality , regards kevin . not a good idea to use flushing oil at that milage

Cheers.

How much am I looking at for parts?

If it wasn't LPG I'd run it and let it die.

Can't you get a new (replacement) head or at least cam/tappets etc and swap it over?

To be honest, if it's running OK and with that sort of mileage, it might be easier to leave it as is until it dies, then fit another engine?

I would do a couple of oil & filter changes first, see if it helps.

Will

1 bar oil pressure at warm idle is nothing to worry about - minimum spec is 0.3 I think.

Has this engine got hydraulic valve gear?????

My `84 230e has the M102 engine and valve adjustment is by traditional tappet screw and locknut..............................

Unless later ones were different?

1 bar oil pressure at warm idle is nothing to worry about - minimum spec is 0.3 I think.

Yep, may be but it's certainly not ideal IMHO.

How many of these cars have you seen with 0.3 bar oil pressure that are actually in good health?

Will

Yep, may be but it's certainly not ideal IMHO.

How many of these cars have you seen with 0.3 bar oil pressure that are actually in good health?

Will

My last W123 dropped to 1 bar at warm idle, yet did not use a drop of oil. So the fact that the OP's car drops to 1 bar is by no means a problem in itself.

Has this engine got hydraulic valve gear?????

My `84 230e has the M102 engine and valve adjustment is by traditional tappet screw and locknut..............................

Unless later ones were different?

Good point. I'll check in the manual but I suspect that all the W123 230e models would be the same.

My last W123 dropped to 1 bar at warm idle, yet did not use a drop of oil. So the fact that the OP's car drops to 1 bar is by no means a problem in itself.

Yep - fair enough, just pointing out that IMHO 0.3 bar is pretty ridiculous as far as oil pressure goes, I would be very concerned if any car was reading that low.

0.3 bar is just over 4psi!

Will

Yep - fair enough, just pointing out that IMHO 0.3 bar is pretty ridiculous as far as oil pressure goes, I would be very concerned if any car was reading that low.

0.3 bar is just over 4psi!

Will
I agree with you Will. I am very wary of cars that show minimum oil pressure. It is usually a sign of main bearing wear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom