M103 im a clk?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carat 3.6

MB Enthusiast
Car
S124 E300d wagon, W124 om606 monster, E46 v8 coupe
Dose anybody know if the m103 would fit under the bonnet of a 1998 w208 230clk? Just an idea at the moment as we have the engine and car in our yard, both without a use. Thought about making a track car out of it. :eek:

I don't see why not but what's the point??If the engine is gone on the clk,a replacement can be had for very cheap

OT:I wanted to talk to you about that 560 engine you have

I don't see why not but what's the point??If the engine is gone on the clk,a replacement can be had for very cheap

The engine seems ok it's the auto box electrics that are giving trouble, but I need to hook it up to the diagnostic computer first. Nothing decided yet but we are just seeing what options we have.

I still have that 560 engine and box, along with it's loom and ecu's. I did think about putting that in the clk but that would be dangerous. :thumb:

The real question is how do you adapt the very simplistic CIS-E and EZL of the M103-12V to the input signals required on the CLK ECU?

If it's only going to be a track car then the M103-12V with the 722.3 box will work ( if it fits !! ) but would be a step backwards in technology.:thumb:

Dash

Are you planning a M117 into a 124 ? :cool:

Ed A.

Dash...

I won't tell if you don't ;)

Ed

My plan was to get a TT but I'd rather have a V8.Trying to get all the bits first so I can get on with the bodywork but I was thinking is better to deal with the engine first an leave the bodywork for last

My plan was to get a TT but I'd rather have a V8.Trying to get all the bits first so I can get on with the bodywork but I was thinking is better to deal with the engine first an leave the bodywork for last

Dash

The M117 SOHC would be a great project...a bit of firewall modification but it has been done a few times by AMG in the USA.

Are you also getting the auto transmission from the 126 ?

Makes sense to do the mechanicals before doing the body.
I might even consider removing the front wings for more working room to make any engine bay sheet metal modifications.

Ed

Since the W202 had a M104 engine in it in the early days and the W208 is based on the W202 chassis it will fit "mounting wise". However the higher and longer block height may mean the front end / standard radiator plumbing wont fit under the lower sloping bonnet line of the W208 ?? :dk: The good thing is that the wider W202/w208 engine compartment will take V configuration engines more easily :thumb: than the old W124 series which was never envisaged to be accommodating "wide" engines at the design stage . The other advantage of V configuration engines is a lower engine height so easier to fit under a sloping bonnet hence the V6 and V8 engines of the W202/W208 models.

The real question is how do you adapt the very simplistic CIS-E and EZL of the M103-12V to the input signals required on the CLK ECU?

If it's only going to be a track car then the M103-12V with the 722.3 box will work ( if it fits !! ) but would be a step backwards in technology.:thumb:

Hi Ed, the car isnt worth spending any money on to put it back on the road, (rusty arches, a few dents, rotten exhaust, ect) so a perfect candidate for some abuse round the track.:D

The kompressor engine seems ok except for a lumpy idle, but I have no service history for the car so who knows.:dk:

The m103 came from my ex daily-driver, a 1988 300e. I kept the loom and autobox aswell, just because I have a soft spot for it! I am a big fan of the older mercedes like the w124 and w126, much better than the newer stuff imho.

Will have to measure it up today. :devil:

Attachments

• DSC00195.JPG
    DSC00195.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC00203.JPG
    DSC00203.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 163
But it will be slower with the 103 in it.

The m103 dose have less power than the kompressor engine, (m271:confused:) but by the time I'm finished stripping all the unnecessery electrics, sound proffing, air conditioing, intercooler, ect, it should be a lot lighter than it was. It also has a diff ment for a 2.3 so that should have some effect on things gearing wise.

There is always the "mig spec diff" option! :devil:

The m103 dose have less power than the kompressor engine, (m271:confused:) but by the time I'm finished stripping all the unnecessery electrics, sound proffing, air conditioing, intercooler, ect, it should be a lot lighter than it was. It also has a diff ment for a 2.3 so that should have some effect on things gearing wise.

There is always the "mig spec diff" option! :devil:

That's a M111 Evo in there, not a M271.

Had a quick look at it with a tape measure today, it will just fit in there with a bit of modification to where the radiator sits.
I wont need air con so that will be ripped out and the radiator moved forward.

I wonder what a stripped out clk weighs???

Progress.

Ok, had a few hours to spare today so started to strip out the engine bay of the clk. Managed to get all the plumbing out of the way, radiator out, exhaust off, intercooler out, air box out, and the coolant and washer bottles out.

With the junk out of the way, I can set about removing the engine one night this week. The engine can go on ebay (unless someone on the forum wants it) and the autobox in the scrap pile.:D

With everything removed from around the engine, there is alot more room than I thought I had. I also fitted my set of 19" amg's, just to see how they sit on the car. Only thing is they are far too big, and make it look like a nascar.:)

Attachments

• DSC00719.JPG
    DSC00719.JPG
    146.5 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC00722.JPG
    DSC00722.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 109
It's out.

Today I removed the last few things holding the engine in the car, and out it came, gearbox aswell. I also unearthed my old m103 from it's 6 month hibernation, and dragged that round to the clk, in preperation for next weekend. :)

After a quick measure of the engine mount positions, it looks like I need to swap the m103 mounts left to right in order to sit the engine as far back as possible.

Attachments

• DSC00739.JPG
    DSC00739.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC00753.JPG
    DSC00753.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 98

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom