M103 im a clk?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
if you short of room you could remove fan with viscous that will give you extra room to play and make the electric A/C fans working for water colling, much better for track race anyway.

if you short of room you could remove fan with viscous that will give you extra room to play and make the electric A/C fans working for water colling, much better for track race anyway.

I may have to do that, things are going to get pretty tight in there. :cool:

Well it's in! The bonnet can shut aswell. I ended up using the engine mounts from the kompressor engine, as the ones on the m103 sit at the wrong angle.

The starter and alternator wiring fitted perfectly, and the propshaft is the correct length too.:cool:

Now that it's in there, it looks like I have more room than I thought I had. Next job is to get the radiator and slam pannel back in, then do some plumbing. :D

Last edited:
With the radiator in the forward of it's two mounting positions, there is just enough room to keep the viscous fan. :)

Attachments

• DSC00802.JPG
    DSC00802.JPG
    145.7 KB · Views: 62
Thought I should post an update on this.

The engine is fully bolted in, and the gearbox mount has been modified and refitted. I have fitted the w124 auto gear lever as the w208 item dose not have enough travel to work the gearbox, I've routed a speedo cable up through where the old autobox loom passed through the floor by the exhaust.

I've made a strait through exhaust up out of the old bit's I had laying about, it use's the 300e downpipes, the w208 rear box, and a few bit's of pipe to join them together, including an old section of propshaft.:thumb: It might be a bit noisey but it cost nothing, so fits in nicely with the theme of this job.

I have routed the main vacumn feed to the brake servo, and plumbed in some of the cooling system. The w208 header tank will be staying for now. Most of the aircon pipework has been removed too.

If it stops raining for a few hours tomorrow I may take some new pictures and attempt to get the loom into the engine bay, but that is a big if!

The only job that I think is going to give me a headache, are the instrument pannel in the dashboard.:eek:

Despite the force 10 gale and rain that would have Noah reaching for his woodsaw, I did manage to do a little bit more to the clk today.

The engine loom is now in place around the engine bay, and has been conectted to the engine. The ignition coil, EZL ignition module, and the diagnostic socket, have found their new homes around the abs unit, and I have removed most of the now redundent wiring and air-con pipes to tidy things up.

Now some pics...

The loom for the m103.

DSC00984.jpg

The new home's for the coil, ezl module, and diagnostic socket.

DSC00993.jpg

The err... "performance" exhaust system. :rolleyes:

DSC00976.jpg

More to come.....

I'm not looking forwards to this bit though...

DSC00981.jpg

May need these...

DSC00989.jpg

She's alive.

So, this morning ater I refitted the fuel lines the correct way round :eek:, filled up the coolant and power steering levels, I cranked her over... After a few turns she started up.:thumb:

I let her run for a while to warm up and get the cooling system to bleed, but she seemed to be running a bit rough. This was down to moisture in the distributor cap and a leaking vacuum pipe. With these fixed I tried again and she started first turn of the key, settled into a good smooth idle too.

After lunch, I took my moblie phone and the tow rope, and took her out for some "scientific testing".:rolleyes:
This mainly envolved a good italian tuneup around the local back roads to the filling station, and on the way back enjoying the wonderfull strait six howl from the tailpipe out back.

Jobs left to do are: Put the correct sized wheels back on, get the gauge cluster to work properly, and tidy the wiring behind the dashboard.

Also I need to work out the wiring for the ignition key, as since I removed the old gearbox it wont let me turn the key. I presume this is because it needs a signal from the box to release the key?

Anyway another pic to be going on with.

DSC00996.jpg

Respect for the amount of effort that has gone into this, but I do have to question a couple of things:

1) Surely you can buy a CLK320/430 or whatever for circa ~ £1k upwards these days?
2) How's this going to stand MOT wise WRT emissions with no cats etc?

Surely you could have sold the CLK and M103 bits of for spares/scrap or whatever and bought something like this:

1999 MERCEDES CLK430 AVANTGARDE AUTO BLUE | eBay

Just me thinking aloud! :)

Will

How much does the engine move when you rev it? As I noted you used the kompressor mounts I was given a set of these instead of the proper V8 items, did,nt realise till we started the engine for the first time and the engine was almost doing somersaults in the engine bay it was moving that much if it had a bonnet on it it would of dented it!, and bearing in mind there is very little weight difference between the straight 6 engine and the V8 it might be worth having a look.
Certainly a different conversion and a one of, good luck with the electrics specially getting the electrics sorted. What are your intentions use it as track special/drift car or is it going back on the road?

Respect for the amount of effort that has gone into this, but I do have to question a couple of things:

1) Surely you can buy a CLK320/430 or whatever for circa ~ £1k upwards these days?
2) How's this going to stand MOT wise WRT emissions with no cats etc?

Surely you could have sold the CLK and M103 bits of for spares/scrap or whatever and bought something like this:

1999 MERCEDES CLK430 AVANTGARDE AUTO BLUE | eBay

Just me thinking aloud! :)

Will

Valid questions,

I started this project as a bit of fun, with the intension of building a track car out of it. Also because I'd rather wrap this around a tree than one of my w124's.

I had the car and engine laying about without use I thought why not? So far it has cost exactly £0 to put together.:)

The Mot wont be a problem because I'm not planing to use it on the road, although I may look into that later.;) The other reason is that I prefer to fiddle with the old strait six engines over the more modern stuff.

It may also become the new home for my 3.6 engine from the w124, if I decide to fit the v8.

How much does the engine move when you rev it? As I noted you used the kompressor mounts I was given a set of these instead of the proper V8 items, did,nt realise till we started the engine for the first time and the engine was almost doing somersaults in the engine bay it was moving that much if it had a bonnet on it it would of dented it!, and bearing in mind there is very little weight difference between the straight 6 engine and the V8 it might be worth having a look.
Certainly a different conversion and a one of, good luck with the electrics specially getting the electrics sorted. What are your intentions use it as track special/drift car or is it going back on the road?

The engine dosent move very much at all, when I blip the throttle it will rock about a half inch towards the drivers side of the car.

I do plan on striping the inside, welding the diff up and taking it to the track, just as a bit of fun. I dont need it to go on the road as such, just something to abuse that is cheap to fix.:thumb:

Well time to update this thread.

I did manage to get most of the of the dash cluster working, and make the car start off the electronic key.:cool:

And then a week later I sold it!:doh:

She now has a new owner who has the time to finish what I started, which is better than me letting it sulk in the corner of my yard. Shame that it's gone really, as it was quite fun to thrash round the lanes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom