M104 3.6 AMG lump into R129

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redbaron

Banned
Does it? Would it?

Have an option on taking a complete engine... wondering how much of a straight swap it would be - or is it a complete nono?

Last edited:
There's a thread on this forum about this very subject Paul, I'm sure I remember seeing one.

It can be done Paul

I dont know why you would... 500 is a much better engine...

I like straight sixes... :) I would put an 8 in but why swap for a 500... would need to be a 60.... and that would be big money...

It can be done Paul

Im sure it can... am curious as to if it would be as simple as collect 3.6, port and polish, do HG, drop in, connect up. Go.

Am guessing engine mounts and so on should be fine? ECU?

'99 3.6 into 97 3.2 ?

Im sure it can... am curious as to if it would be as simple as collect 3.6, port and polish, do HG, drop in, connect up. Go.

Am guessing engine mounts and so on should be fine? ECU?

'99 3.6 into 97 3.2 ?

Did they still make the 3.6`s in 99? :dk:
Is your car a V6 or straight 6?If you already have the straight 6 m104 the engine is straight swap but you`ll have to play with the ecu

straight 6. M104.991 where as the 3.6 is M104.941 iirc

ECU is the worry tbh... as I have the usual slight weep from the HG the 3.6 seems like a good option. Prep it and swap it in... then fix the 3.2 and sell it. would end up costing very little assuming I dont hit major complications.......

Did they still make the 3.6`s in 99? :dk:
Is your car a V6 or straight 6?If you already have the straight 6 m104 the engine is straight swap but you`ll have to play with the ecu

Think your right ref 99 - wonder if is a typo??. Last ones were registered 97 AFAIK.

I dont know why you would... 500 is a much better engine...

Wrote before I saw answer, but quite honestly the SL is such heavy car a 500 is the smallest engine that works, just my HO.

Last edited:
is 500 as easy a swap?

Noooooooooooo but I`m sure Jay meant it as selling yours and buying a 500

Noooooooooooo but I`m sure Jay meant it as selling yours and buying a 500

Not doing that.

Mine is 3 owner car, full history, bushes etc done, not rotten, doesn't leak, has good hood etc etc.

If changed it would just be starting again.

Not doing that.

Mine is 3 owner car, full history, bushes etc done, not rotten, doesn't leak, has good hood etc etc.

If changed it would just be starting again.

Most good R129s fit this bill anyway. A rev happy 3.6 doesn't really suit the nature of the car (at least with the auto box). Aside from the cost of the conversion you might find resale difficult and insurance awkward. An M119 R129 comes with a higher spec as standard and would be easier to swap to a NA 55 engine should you wish to go that route at a later date.

Go for it, the 3.6 will bolt in using the original engine mounts, and you may need to swap the sumps over.

Most good R129s fit this bill anyway. A rev happy 3.6 doesn't really suit the nature of the car (at least with the auto box). Aside from the cost of the conversion you might find resale difficult and insurance awkward. An M119 R129 comes with a higher spec as standard and would be easier to swap to a NA 55 engine should you wish to go that route at a later date.

You havent seen some of the 129's I did before I bought mine.... :)

Resale doesnt worry me as it is unlikely it will ever be sold.

Given that if you fitted the 3.2 vanity cover over the plugs / coilpacks it would be completely unotticable am not too worried.

Will the ecu/loom work? assume all ancillaries will be ok?

Which car did the ecu come from? c36 or e36? The ancillaries will be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom