M104 engine - fully synthetic oil?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MD5

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
wme451 a124 r129 s211 r230
I've just had my 1994 E320 serviced at the MD, and on double checking my bill, they have charged £113.31 for 7 litres of "Mercedes" oil, which is a 5w30 fully synthetic oil, and makes Mobil look cheap.

I've phoned them up to query the price, but more importantly, the usage of fully synthetic oil in an older engine (M104, covered 58k miles), and I'm waiting for a call back from them.

Does anyone know about this usage please, as I thought it was not advisable?

Unlikely to do any harm in this climate ---should stay in grade for longer meaning you can extend that next oil change interval a bit---- 10w40 semisynthetic would have been the specified oil when the car was manufactured so really a best practice rather than essential specification scenario. It was probably what they had on the premises as the oil most suitable for most of the cars they service in the shape of a 55 gallon drum out back. Next time might be an idea to supply your own oil.
ps there is no " Mercedes Oil" as such just oil from certain manufacturers they buy in and label as their own ------ In the days of the M104 it would have almost certainly been supplied by FUCHS now perhaps Petronas, or Mobil for certain AMG models

I asked Daimler & Mobil here the exact same question, answer was no problem at all Sir, car has done 147,000 miles on Mobil 1 only from new and still going strong.

You can call the Mobil hot line and ask directly the exact grade, from memory 5W40 for the M104.

Thanks John/Graeme.

They've just phoned back giving a couple of oil options, but with no qualms over what they have used, as you say, Graeme. I remember Olly at PCS saying that f/s oil wasn't recommended though. Whilst I appreciate they don't have their own oil, they've listed it as such, where they normally specify Mobil when used.

I'll be bringing my own next time, for sure!

Thanks John/Graeme.

They've just phoned back giving a couple of oil options, but with no qualms over what they have used, as you say, Graeme. I remember Olly at PCS saying that f/s oil wasn't recommended though. Whilst I appreciate they don't have their own oil, they've listed it as such, where they normally specify Mobil when used.

I'll be bringing my own next time, for sure!

My 300CE-24 was on fully synthetic 5w/40 when I bought it from MB in 1997. It's been on that ever since and, at 1/4 million miles all seems well.

RayH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom