M104 Engine Rebuild How To

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jaymanek

Authorised Forum Sponsor
SUPPORTER
Car
Lots of Mercedes!
Well I just completed mine and randomly came across this fantastic thread on the subject.

HOW-TO: M104 / W124 Top-End Rebuild

If anyone is contemplating it, this shows all the steps and all the parts required.

I thought I was prepared in terms of parts required but If I had seen this before, it would have saved me some time. Some of the issue he came across, I had the same...

Only thing to note is that his car is a USA version and most of ours wont have things like Aux Air Pumps etc. (although my car does have it).

There was a big long blog a few years ago on blogspot.com where a Japanese W124 club owner stripped a 300E-24 3.4 AMG engine and did a whole rebuild and write up on it over a few good months in his garage, including pics and everything exactly like Gerry did. He showed pictures of porting/polishing the inlet and outlet of the head, cleaning the pistons, rods, bearings, springs, cams, crank, sprockets and all sorts including part numbers. Only problem was that it was in Japanese and at that time I had no interest in the M104.980 engine - now I'm kicking myself for not saving it and have been re-searching for it ever since!

Would have been perfect for you Jay!

Yes I found my ports had already been polished... Must be by AMG UK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom