M104 headgasket types

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

janner

MB Enthusiast
Car
E320 Turbo Technics
I'm trying to lower the compression on my E320, M104 engine prior to turbo charging. Does anyone know the part numbers for different thickness headgaskets? As I understand it thicker ones were used for some markets that had crappy fuel. A thicker gasket would be ideal for turboing.

It's a long shot but maybe someone will know?

There appears to be a selection of gaskets, but don't know which is which.

HERE.

Another option would be to add a copper gasket as well as a standard one.

Thanks for that. I put the numbers into this site and it seems they're all 1.7mm (same as the one I just took out).

As an option could you not machine 1/2mm from the piston crowns?

http://www.headgasket.com/gaskets.html

Quote from their FAQ's:
Q). I have an overhead cam engine with an aluminum head that has been milled. The mechanic says that I need to buy a new head because the timing is off. Can a thicker gasket be used to "shim" the head to original specification?

A). Yes, we can make a thicker gasket and depending on your "shim" requirements we can attempt to get as close as possible to the original deck height.

Should give the desired effect.

Just spoke to the guy, seems very helpful. And apparently the gaskets will last much longer, as long as you get a good seal.
I need a photo of the gasket, bore size and thickness.

From what turbo technics have told me the conrods were 1mm shorter and the pistons were machined 0.5mm. Let me know how much Alan can take off the piston, we need 1.5mm total.

This might be way too simple but, if you take 1mm of the piston then we can go for a gasket that 0.5mm thicker?

Im sending him the info now.

Just got an email back from them:
The price for the 2.7mm or about .106" copper is $245.00 - I have this precise thickness in stock.
The price for the 2.2mm or about .086" copper is $210.00- I also have this thickness.

Custom headgasket could be the way to go but I don't want to wait so the garage are slicing 1.5mm off the tops of my pistons today.

Custom headgasket could be the way to go but I don't want to wait so the garage are slicing 1.5mm off the tops of my pistons today.

Words of a brave man...

:D

What could possibly go wrong :p

The conversion is the Turbotechnics twin turbo setup.
Got the pistons back today.
Here's what £45 +vat buys you..
before and after skimming 1.5mm

Attachments

• piston copy.jpg
    piston copy.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 67
Turbotechnics used to modify them (probably on an exchange basis) but no longer do it. Couldn't find anyone else so opted for piston decking. I think 345bhp and no traction control should be fun:D

It's a great project janner. Nice to see it coming along.

All hardmen drivers say traction control is for pansies anyway..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom