m104 plea for help - belt tensioning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonnyboy

MB Enthusiast
Car
1991 sl300-24 project,s124 280,w115 no interior, w108 project no engine
All

I have a 129 that has been partly in bits for around three years. As my health improves I am starting to get stuck back into it. It's a 300 SL-24 with the m104.981 engine (which I suppose is a hybrid of m103 and m104 - having the twin cams but with good old fashioned plug leads and a dizzy cap...

But I have a problem. I did a replacement water pump way back when, a horrid job, and then noticed the v-belt tensioner assembly was stripped.

I have the new tensioner bracket/spindle/LH nut, and have gone to put it all back together but it looks like my box of bits has a bit missing.

I cannot find a bracket which attaches the top of the tensioner damper to the block - am working from things I have spent hours googling and am bamboozled.

Does anyone have either an in depth pic of a 300-24 engine showing how the damper attaches, or could help out? Looking on EPC has been a nightmare, as has googling, as has involving my local parts guy.

From what I can find online :-
ScreenShot02-10-15at0824PM_zps04581be2.jpg

It looks like I am missing bracket number 7, but we can't find whether we are missing it or not. Arrgggghhhhhhh.

Please take pity - thanks.

Jay, thank you !!!!
According to those first two diagrams it does look like there is no bracket after all.

What a plank I am. I suspect that I have looked too much online at this now.

Will update the thread as and when sorted. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom