M104 rattle noise coming from top front of engine

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XJguy

Car
1994 E320 Coupe
Ive checked all the codes (none), tensioners look fine, car runs great. RPMs are good, oil pressure good, power good, car starts up with no problems, has new harness, new motor mount, all fluids changed at regular intervals. But when in gear, and stopped there is a rattle coming from what seems to be the upper right of the engine, It seems to be coming from the valve train. I've used a mechanic's stethoscope and from what I can tell the noise is coming from the top right (if you are looking at the engine) front of the engine. Another thing that happens is that when in gear and stopped the idle is a little lumpy, causes a noticeable vibration in the car, and a annoying sub-bass sound, not quiet and smooth. I have been racking my brains and looking everywhere as to what it might be. The car has 122k miles and has Mobile 1 oil and only premium fuel. At idle and in Park its normal, smooth as it should be and acceleration and performance is great as well.

Can it be worn valvetrain? Timing chain? Timing chain guide? Camshaft adjuster?

Does the noise get worse if you remove the oil filler cap? If so, it would suggest something to do with the timing chain or valves. If not, one of the peripherals (water pump, power steering pump etc) driven by the serpentine belt.

Sorry, not sure how much this helps.

Okay, so today I dive in, and I am happy to say that the rattles are all coming from the belt tensioner shock, specifically the upper bushing. But it turns out its quite a task to replace. I bought a new shock, and will replace it eventually but for now I am happy that I know its not the head and the engine isn't about to go. I suspect the vibrations I am feeling while in gear are also because of this thing. Ill know for sure when I replace it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom