M112 intake and mystery canister

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRBC43AMG

MB Enthusiast
Car
2013 C63 AMG coupe "T-Rex", 1999 C43 AMG saloon "Grandma" (sold), Ultima Sports Can-Am (sold)
Working on my C240T and M112 engine changing valve cover gaskets, plugs and other items before the winter arrives as my C240T is my winter work horse.
To remove the valve covers on the passenger side (LHD) I had to remove the MAF and intake pipe. I saw a rectangular canister which plugs into the intake after the MAF and manifold. I have NO idea what is it's purpose as thetre is just one inlet/outlet pipe. I am wondering if I should bin the thing and plug the hole on the intake.
Can someone tell me what it is and what it's use?
Thanks
S7003188_zpsa1fe1191.jpg

My ford fiesta had a similar thing but smaller. I am not sure what it is but perhaps its a device to introduce air turbulence. This type of thing was used on older engines to manage the air flow to fuel ratio etc. Newer ones use the ecu to manage fuel inj etc. I may be wrong of course

it's listed in the parts catalog as a "shock absorber". I can't see what would possibly be gained by removing it.

I always wondered about this part I would say it s too do with air turbulence or pressure

Weird, because the M113 V8 engine does not have that part at all.

it's listed in the parts catalog as a "shock absorber". I can't see what would possibly be gained by removing it.

Yup, I saw that too in the EPC, but I still don't know what it's needed for, if needed at all :dk:
I may just reassemble everything without the canister, bunge the hole temporarily, drive arounbd and see what happens.

Its a pulsation damper- presumably to dampen out any inlet manifold airflow resonance which might interfere with airflow. Probably something to do with the firing order of the V6 and its inlet manifold The V8 won't have that problem. You could try blocking it off temporarily and see--- but I WOULD NOT THROW IT AWAY! ;)

No way will I throw it away, until I'm 100% certain that driving without this canister causes no interference. I'l just bung up the hole and see what happens.
Funny to read that Danny DeVito says he has one on his Fiesta, but that is a 4 cyl engine.

The item on my fiesta was a small cylinder shape , i thought it was a blank but it was a bit big for that. It fell out anyway while heading on to the motorway and the car drove as normal afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom