M112 tappet like sound ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lucky178tb

Car
E240-1998
G'day all,
There is a ticking/tappety like sound (i'm convinced) from the toppish area of the oil fill area on my motor so that would be on the right sight of the V6 of the M112 motor, if facing !!
There is surprisingly no noise when its cold but is present when warm/hot. Now the strange thing is that the noise is on idle only or atleast thats the only time you can hear it but if you up the revs even by just a 100 say to about 850-900 instead of 750-800 the sound clears.
I thought it might've been the belt tensioner shock but to be honest I couldnt see one so Im assuming there is'nt one or someone may stand to correct me (pls) !! My worry is that it may be the chain or rail's or someone even suggested that the cam adjuster is a common noise maker ???? :dk: I obviously havent a clue of whats going on but the sound is quite pronounced when warm so you can hear it from sitting inside the car on IDLE !!
Any contributions will be highly appreciated.
Cheers
Lucky

PCV valve - just below the ABS unit can produce a tappetty sound, also it doesn't operate for the first two minutes after a could start.

It's on a rubber mount onto a lug on the inner wing - if you lift the rubber mount off the lug so it's floating in mid-air (suppored by the pipes) the tapping will reduce to a clicking (the inner wing is no longer acting as a sounding board). Try it and see if it makes a difference.

Theres been a few posts on here about the 240 112 engine having a noisy top end try a search.
Pic is valve Steve is talking about.

Lynall

Attachments

• recirc valve.JPG
    recirc valve.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
mmm, I thought the other day I heard somthing... will try that.

It is normal for that valve to make a tappetty sound. If it wasn't then something would be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom