M113 722.6 engine and gearbox swap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Car
W220 S500
Hi All!

I have an ambitious project but I am dedicated to getting the work done on it however I will need some advice on a few aspects of the build, here’s a bit of background;
In December 2019 I bought a 1990 Mitsubishi 3000GT, it was lovely and everything worked perfect but only a few days after I bought it some c***s tried to steal it, failed, and then set the engine compartment on fire after smashing its windows. Now I’ve always wanted one of these cars since I was little but even in the few days I had it it wasn’t as quick as I would have liked. The plan is to swap an M113 engine with a 722.6 gearbox into it, I want to use this engine and gearbox because I fell in love with it back when I owned a W215 CL500.

i have started taking the front end of the 3000GT apart and will have its engine and gearbox out shortly, only the engine compartment suffered burn damage, the rest of the car is still perfect, I will need to make room for the transmission tunnel and fabricate engine mounts to suit the M113 but I will manage these bits no issue. The concerns I have is getting the engine and gearbox to communicate and work with each other, can I simply pull the ECU and TCU from a donor car and wire them up? How can I get the engine start authorised? What information does the TCU and ECU need to operate correctly? Any information on what I would need to get the engine and gearbox to work as they normally would would be a big help. Has anybody tried the Ofgear 722.6 controller? Would I be able to make it work with a standard Mercedes ECU without it going crazy and into limp mode? Or would a stand-alone ECU work well with the Ofgear controller? I will try to update this forum as I eventually make progress on the car with the view of helping others do similar conversions in future, thanks in advance guys!

Good luck with the engine conversion, I can't help any with what you want to do but I just want to remind you that if you do any chassis mods or cut bulkheads etc then the car may need an IVA test. Sorry if you knew that already.

Can't help you on the engineering but I'm sure someone will be along soon. While you're at it, why not insert the M113K kompressor mill? 475bhp and more to come if you need.

Can't help you on the engineering but I'm sure someone will be along soon. While you're at it, why not insert the M113K kompressor mill? 475bhp and more to come if you need.
If I can source one cheap that will be the direction I go, I would much rather that over the non kompressor version, they are lovely engines

Good luck with the engine conversion, I can't help any with what you want to do but I just want to remind you that if you do any chassis mods or cut bulkheads etc then the car may need an IVA test. Sorry if you knew that already.
That’s a very good point, I completely forgot that that will be necessary, thanks for that and I will actually make note of it, fair play

I always wanted a 3000GT years ago, great looking cars. I used to have a Nissan 300ZX twin turbo 20 odd years ago which I think was similar spec/power. That was the era when there was a nice selection of big jap coupes on the roads Supra's, Soarer's etc.

300zx are beautiful mate, that was the era where everything was “276bhp” so many nice cars came from japan at that time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom