M113 into a W124 - Possible?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveLondon

Car
CLK430 Avantgarde Convertible, BMW 330ci Sport Coupe
Just some random musings, as I've happened to stumble across a C124 without an engine and a 4.3 M113 (and g'box/ancillaries - from S430).

Unfortunately, I can't get both in the same place at the same time (being heavy and non-moving) to even check the size logistics of mating them. However, from memory, the W124 has a pretty big engine bay and wide transmission tunnel.

Has anyone ever attempted/completed this? If so, what hardware is required, and how much work (bearing in mind I'm not expecting it to be easy)?

It can and has been done, it's a tight old squeeze into that bay though and it does take a fair bit of work. The steering gear might be a sticking point, most V8 W124s have been LHD.

There's threads on here about similar:
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/general-discussion/33892-w124-coupe-v8-transplant.html
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/68122-w124-v8-modification-engine-fit.html
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/164307-w124-e55-engine.html

Motorwerks Projects - V8 Conversion on a W124 Coupe

Thank you for the reading inspiration. It looks like the M117 is a slightly easier swap, if I'm reading that correctly - with just a few modifications to mounts and firewall to accommodate. How readily available are these engines (there are currently none on Ebay)?

Merc V8's into a w124 are as follows...

M117- Can be fitted with no mods to the engine bay cross member or firewalls, you will need custom mounts for the engine and gearbox. Wiring is very easy as your dealing with ke-jet.

M119- Needs mod's to the firewall due to the width of the heads, mounting wise you can use the engine crossmember from a 4/500E along with it's engine mounts. Or you can go custom and keep the existing crossmember. Wiring is not too bad on the early .960 engines, but more complex with the later efi engines.

M113- No real point using this engine over a m119 unless you've got a Kompressor variant, all m113 will need an aftermarket management setup to work in a w124 (£3000 for a decent ecu and sensors). The upside to this engine is it's narrow width, so no mods to the firewall.

There is a long held myth that a v8 wont fit a rhd w124 because of the steering box, completely untrue as they can fit just fine.

Thanks kindly. That makes everything completely clear.

In terms of the M117, how would you recommend I go about sourcing one? Are any variants/sources better than others?

Thanks kindly. That makes everything completely clear.

In terms of the M117, how would you recommend I go about sourcing one? Are any variants/sources better than others?

If you're going for it 560 would be best
Carat ^ might have one which was going to be for mine,it might be still available

Thank you d_w124. Who/what is Carat?
(Incidentally, I've also spotted a 560 lump on Ebay)

By way of further questioning, can anyone recommend a mechanic/garage (even a MBC member) who would be able to do this conversion in London/SE? I'd ideally prefer not to be paying £80/hr labour rates, if possible.

Thank you d_w124. Who/what is Carat?
(Incidentally, I've also spotted a 560 lump on Ebay)

By way of further questioning, can anyone recommend a mechanic/garage (even a MBC member) who would be able to do this conversion in London/SE? I'd ideally prefer not to be paying £80/hr labour rates, if possible.

See post #4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom