M113 ML55 - CLS Engine How reliable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Iceviolet

Car
2007 CLS 500, W114 280CE (resto)
Hello,

I am fairly new to the Mercedes scene, I am close to purchasing a CLS 55 AMG. :D

Just have a few questions about the engine in these cars.

What sort of mileage will these engines start to give you problems?
Is there an interval for changing the timing chains and tensioners?
Whats the common problems/issues on these if any?

and whats the highest mileage you have seen on one of these engines in this car?

Thanks in advance, any advice much appreciated.

Sam

Hi Sam, no idea on the answer to your questions, but all I can say, is do it, do it, do it! They are awesome machines!

They are bomb proof. Timing chain doesn't need changing regularly, it will stretch for a long time and be rattley as hell before it snaps.. Highest I've seen is 225,000 but most who have a 55k either don't do many miles or have a diesel as well if they do.

Last edited:
The 55k engine was one of Mercedes finest hours. A fantastic piece of machinery that really is pretty much unbreakable. It has been a long long time since I can recall any member having a problem with a 55k engine.

The main issue, not really engine related, is the supercharger cooling system could be better, and the IC pump often fails. Not a hugely expensive replacement and not one I worry about.

Thanks for the replies, all with positive news exactly what I wanted to hear!

I am currently working away from home at themoment, back on the 19th, so a purchase of a CLS 55 AMG will be soon after that!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom