m113 oil level

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DavidL

MB Enthusiast
Car
s203 C55, x218 CLS63
Our c55 has said a couple of times to add a litre of oil at the next chance.
However when I check the oil level it says it's fine. Using the "hidden" menu it is saying 7.1 l which to my mind is a bit low as reading suggests 8-8.5l.
Anyone got a more definitive answer?
Thanks

Buy a dipstick to be certain if you are doubting the sensor/reading? :thumb:

I didn't know that was even an option. Is there actually an aperture for it?

When are you reading the level, as iirc it has to be after a decent drive and then after 10 mins of sitting. No dipstick on my 113k.

If you buy the workshop dip stick the reading should be between 160-170 on a hot engine after standing level as above at least thats what it is on a m113k unsure if the n/a lump is the same.

I didn't know that was even an option. Is there actually an aperture for it?
Yes, there should be a capped off tube in the engine bay for a workshop style oil dipstick - much the same as the gearbox does too.

IIRC it’s round and red, and doesn’t have the security ‘tab’ like you have on the ATF one. Should be at the back in the middle :thumb:

Resurrecting this I now have a dipstick. Probably a really daft question but there's no reason it shouldn't stay put is there? Like every other car that comes with a dipstick?
I just wondered if it might interfere with the electronic measuring system or actually foul the internals since it's not supposed to be there.

Does it physically go all the way in? The ones I have seen are generic across many models so are too long to sit fully home in the tube.
I would not be brave enough to leave it in. Just imagine the carnage if it did get caught up in some moving parts.......

Resurrecting this I now have a dipstick. Probably a really daft question but there's no reason it shouldn't stay put is there? Like every other car that comes with a dipstick?
I just wondered if it might interfere with the electronic measuring system or actually foul the internals since it's not supposed to be there.

Mind me asking which one you bought? Not entirely happy with the lack of a dipstick on my M112. And also shedding some light on the "hidden" menu you mention in your original post?

If you're concerned about the lack of a dipstick on your M112 engine, it's essential to rely on the vehicle's onboard computer system for oil level monitoring and follow manufacturer recommendations for oil level checks.

Regarding the "hidden" menu, some vehicles with certain infotainment systems may have diagnostic or hidden menus accessible through specific button combinations or sequences. These menus can provide additional information about the vehicle's systems, including engine parameters. Accessing these menus typically requires a combination of button presses or actions while the vehicle is in a specific state (e.g., engine off, ignition on). The specific procedure can vary by vehicle make and model, so it's advisable to consult the vehicle's manual or seek guidance from a dealership or automotive forum dedicated to your particular vehicle model.

Mind me asking which one you bought? Not entirely happy with the lack of a dipstick on my M112. And also shedding some light on the "hidden" menu you mention in your original post?

No, there should be no reason for a properly inserted dipstick to come loose or dislodged in a vehicle, just like in any other car with a dipstick.

If you're concerned about the lack of a dipstick on your M112 engine, it's essential to rely on the vehicle's onboard computer system for oil level monitoring and follow manufacturer recommendations for oil level checks.

Regarding the "hidden" menu, some vehicles with certain infotainment systems may have diagnostic or hidden menus accessible through specific button combinations or sequences. These menus can provide additional information about the vehicle's systems, including engine parameters. Accessing these menus typically requires a combination of button presses or actions while the vehicle is in a specific state (e.g., engine off, ignition on). The specific procedure can vary by vehicle make and model, so it's advisable to consult the vehicle's manual or seek guidance from a dealership or automotive forum dedicated to your particular vehicle model.

No, there should be no reason for a properly inserted dipstick to come loose or dislodged in a vehicle, just like in any other car with a dipstick.

Did we decide whether William was a bot or not?

Did we decide whether William was a bot or not?
eerrrrr
maybe we are looking at the future
forums overwhelmed by AI BOTs replying to each other
whilst we are sifting through to the real ones

Does it physically go all the way in? The ones I have seen are generic across many models so are too long to sit fully home in the tube.
I would not be brave enough to leave it in. Just imagine the carnage if it did get caught up in some moving parts.......
It does indeed go all the way in. It showed a level a little low last night so I added a litre and now it shows full. Pretty much what the electronic level said.
this is the one I bought for a 113 not a 112. It's been a while coming (brexit etc) but I found a few sites recommending it as the correct length. Can't recall where mind!
The hidden menu is accessed by turning the key to posn 1, pressing the trip reset stick 3 times which brings up the menu. Scroll to the engine page and then turn the key to posn 2. You will see the oil level come up, bottom of the list iirc, in litres. There are plenty of YT vids showing how.

Not enough detail in the ad to know if this dipstick is suitable for M113 V8 . The C55 has a saddle sump so there is just under a litre that the dipstick will never see. I bought one of the long ones that has a scale on it .

No restriction at the end of the dipstick tube by the way , it will just bottom out in the sump, unless its skinny flexible and bends.

I changed my oil , re filled with 8.5 litre measured it on the generic one , marked it and thats it. When the car asks for a litre I just add it and carry on. Been doing that for over 6 years now.

Whatever you do make sure you have enough oil . As you probably know your M113 AMG engine has no oil pressure warning of any kind.

Having said that at 151K miles I am changing the oil and filter every 5K miles . It's cheap.

Dunno, but apparently William is now a forum admin. according to 'his' profile........🤔
So either he is a bot and has hacked into the forum to change his title to admin or maybe he's something the admin team have introduced to try and rid the forum of the adverts some people complain about?

Dunno, but apparently William is now a forum admin. according to 'his' profile........🤔

So either he is a bot and has hacked into the forum to change his title to admin or maybe he's something the admin team have introduced to try and rid the forum of the adverts some people complain about?

Spotted that too. Thought I'd missed something so just kept my gob shut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom