M113k 5 piece pulley kit + belt wrap kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mav01987

Car
w211
Hi everyone

I am a bit confused as too which manufacturer I should use to replace my idler pulley and would highly appreciate any advice given.

On my 04 e55k (engine m113k) the double ribbed pulley(idler pulley) needs changing, a company called UPD offers a 5 piece pulley set so I can replace all plastic pulleys to high quality CNC metal pulley.

There is also another company called ASP which according to Mercedes Benz forums sells a pulley kit as well which is of high quality.

The problem is I do not know which manufacturer is better, all I can find is reviews on the ASP pulley but not the UPD ones.

I have also seen UPD provide a belt wrap kit which stops the belt from sleeping hence helping the boost

I would kindly like peoples ideas on which manufacturer is better or are they both equal?

Also is the belt wrap kit any good or just a gimmick as I haven't seen many reviews or posts regarding it.

Thanks

Don`t know the answer to that but other 113 engine owners will have experience of
changing idler pulleys & belts.
I am in a similar position about to change an oil contaminated belt & idler pulley.

Is there a reason why you don't consider replacing your original OEM pulleys with another pair of OEM pulleys?

Hi,
My understanding is UPD just re-sells the ASP pulley's so they are one in the same thing. I have a full set on my CLS55, together with the UPD BWK.

Is there a reason why you don't consider replacing your original OEM pulleys with another pair of OEM pulleys?

From what I have read is that the OEM pulleys do fail (common fault) due to them being plastic and when they fail you have to replace the entire pulley.

With the UPD pulleys when they go wrong you can just change the bearing for £20, I haven't heard of any problems with these type of pulleys but tons of post regarding the OEM. I intend to keep the car for a while so if certain aftermarket parts are better then OEM parts I will use them

Hi,

My understanding is UPD just re-sells the ASP pulley's so they are one in the same thing. I have a full set on my CLS55, together with the UPD BWK.

From further research you are correct just found out yesterday it is the same product.

How is the kit working for you? Did you realise any difference in how the car ran, noises compared to the OEM ? Does the UPD BWK work well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I replaced my idler with oem metal one, abd also ugraded the belt to a shorter heavy duty belt. Works a treat now but was a SOAB to get it on

My own experience of this kit on my E55, is well versed here, it has been quite troublesome, probaly the most aggravation with this kit than any other mod I have fitted.
I have Kleemann crank pulley and EC SC pulley, never till recently, have I stripped or worn a belt, but been through 3 sets of bearings at least, albeit the latest Nachi bearings I have later fitted seem to be wearing well currently. I do wonder to weather the comination of the pulleys I run with are working the bearings too hard, but no proof of this, just me thinking aloud on my problem.:rolleyes:
On a trip back from Spa in April, one of the pulley wheels broke up, and subsquently totally destroyed the belt, ran home lightly with no SC.
I have since replaced the wheel, but would say, if I had not had one spare, I would strip the whole lot off and run my car without this kit.
Personally, unless your heavily modded and running hard core events, this kit is not worth spending the monies and fitting, if my experience is to be taken into account, it will bring you more pain than pleasure.:doh:

I replaced my idler with oem metal one, abd also ugraded the belt to a shorter heavy duty belt. Works a treat now but was a SOAB to get it on

Which manufacturer did you use for the pulley, I have read "Ina" make the oem pulleys and febi just repackage it, not sure how true this is considering it's around 50% cheaper give or take a couple of £

And regarding the belt I have read that gates HD belts are quite good

My own experience of this kit on my E55, is well versed here, it has been quite troublesome, probaly the most aggravation with this kit than any other mod I have fitted.

I have Kleemann crank pulley and EC SC pulley, never till recently, have I stripped or worn a belt, but been through 3 sets of bearings at least, albeit the latest Nachi bearings I have later fitted seem to be wearing well currently. I do wonder to weather the comination of the pulleys I run with are working the bearings too hard, but no proof of this, just me thinking aloud on my problem.:rolleyes:

On a trip back from Spa in April, one of the pulley wheels broke up, and subsquently totally destroyed the belt, ran home lightly with no SC.

I have since replaced the wheel, but would say, if I had not had one spare, I would strip the whole lot off and run my car without this kit.

Personally, unless your heavily modded and running hard core events, this kit is not worth spending the monies and fitting, if my experience is to be taken into account, it will bring you more pain than pleasure.:doh:

This is interesting, I don't use the car for events and it isn't heavily modded, just looking for the double idler pulley and tensioner, I just can't stomach the dealership price

:fail See below

Last edited:
Which manufacturer did you use for the pulley, I have read "Ina" make the oem pulleys and febi just repackage it, not sure how true this is considering it's around 50% cheaper give or take a couple of £

And regarding the belt I have read that gates HD belts are quite good

I bought the idler from MB as have a trade account with them, its all metall with a black metal pulley, which i was surprised about as i was told OEM and plastic???

The belt I used was a Gates, part no# 8PK1255ES it was a PIG to fit as it was so tight. £22.26 deliverd, none trade.

But works perfectly and no more slipping.

I bought the idler from MB as have a trade account with them, its all metall with a black metal pulley, which i was surprised about as i was told OEM and plastic???

The belt I used was a Gates, part no# 8PK1255ES it was a PIG to fit as it was so tight. £22.26 deliverd, none trade.

But works perfectly and no more slipping.

Yeah my understanding was that at least one of those double ribbed pulleys was plastic hence why ASP came out with a metal one?

Just to confirm the pulley is a double ribbed pulley? If so do you have the part number? Thanks

From what I have read is that the OEM pulleys do fail (common fault) due to them being plastic and when they fail you have to replace the entire pulley.

With the UPD pulleys when they go wrong you can just change the bearing for £20, I haven't heard of any problems with these type of pulleys but tons of post regarding the OEM. I intend to keep the car for a while so if certain aftermarket parts are better then OEM parts I will use them

The supercharger idler pulley is cast aluminium. The bearing is pressed in the regular way and is replaceable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom