M113K engine noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fr3ddy

Car
CLS 55 (SOLD)
Hi Guys,

I'm in need of some help please.

I was driving on the motorway yesterday and there was a accident, so at stand still for a good 10 miles. Once I drove past the crash the road opens up so I put my foot down and accelerated hard.

The car got to 60mph then stalled, power steering stopped working and the road was bending to the right... I put it in neutral, switched off and started the car whilst in motion. Everything seemed to be fine (no warning lights on the dash) but as I got nearer my house I noticed this horrible squeaking noise coming from the right hand side of the car. I think it might have something to do with the supercharger or tensioners maybe.

So anyway, I left it till the morning and I have posted a video showing the noise. Please can someone take a look and give me some suggestions in what they think it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKcNXH73pN4&feature=youtu.be

If you don't want to watch the whole vid skip it to 1 minute 33 seconds.

Everyones opinions are much appreciated in advance.

Thank you

Best thing to do is get the belt off and spin all the pulleys! You'll soon find which one is making the noise or establish if it's even a pulley!!

Hard to tell just from a video. First thing I would do is grab a 17mm socket and put the s/c belt tensioner into the service position with a small Allen key.

Then start the engine if the noise is gone then you know one of the following is the issue :

S/c idler pulley bearing
S/c pulley bearing
S/c twin idler pulley bearing

If the noise remains then it's most likely a pulley on the aux side.

Thanks for the input. I don't think it has anything to do with the pulleys. Had a listen and it seems like the noise is coming from the back of the s/c.

To advanced for me... going to book it in to PCS and hopefully it's not going to cost to much...

It does sound like a 'louder' supercharger sound to me.

As I understand it - that sound is the oil pump supplying the SC with oil so my money is on this being just noisy / duff or both!

Thanks for the input. I don't think it has anything to do with the pulleys. Had a listen and it seems like the noise is coming from the back of the s/c.

To advanced for me... going to book it in to PCS and hopefully it's not going to cost to much...

No worries like I said hard to know what it is from the clip. I think taking it to PCS is the wise thing and you will be in good hands.

interesting problem:confused:, as the other guys have commented, sounded like bearings to me, albeit these bearing noise,s generally comes upon you gradually, but I cannot grasp the stalling issue, have you any mods fitted..?, When it stalled, where there any immediate unusual noises..? error codes showing? I will be interested if any codes are stored, once on star, and also very interested in the diagnosed problem, sorry I cannot help here, but unusual issue. Best of luck with your repair.

Nevertheless, the oil can be changed. Look on Youtube for "How to change your supercharger oil m113k-ml55 Mercedes Benz engines".

Do people bother/does it ever need it, or is it maintenance for maintenance's sake if one has time on one's hands?

Definitely!! Very beneficial

My point was there is no pump providing oil to the charger ?

Definitely!! Very beneficial

My point was there is no pump providing oil to the charger ?

Yes the moving parts sit in an oil bath and pick up the oil as they spin. I changed my sc oil, not sure if it helped but what came out was not nice and what went in looked nice.

The SBC pump can and often does make a noise but nothing linked with the supercharger.

That isn't all the time though and I know the sound of that.

The noise I am thinking of is the whining of the supercharger I guess - even at idle but it is louder to start with and then quietens. Perhaps that sound being louder indicates an issue with the supercharger...

I thought my car had a problem when I first heard it in the showroom but it's been like it for getting on for 5 years and clearly it hasn't.

Maybe b1g1an can clarify which oil pump he meant.

The SBC pump only charges the system intermittently, it only (should only) run for a few seconds at a time. Usually on waking the car (opening a door) is the only time I consciously hear it.

The supercharger doesn't spin at idle, the magnetic clutch does but it doesn't engage until ~1800rpm depending on engine load. It spins continuously above ~3500rpm.

The only sound from my supercharger once at speed is a glorious high pitched whine, mixing with the howl from the exhausts ;)

I think all 55K engines whine on start-up for a few seconds. There doesn't seem to be a consensus on what it is. Some say it's the air pump, I must admit I'm not sure. Even my neighbour's supercharged Mini has a similar whine on starting. The only time the 55K 'charger spins on starting is if the temp is below 5c to release any frost in the air screws.

interesting problem:confused:, as the other guys have commented, sounded like bearings to me, albeit these bearing noise,s generally comes upon you gradually, but I cannot grasp the stalling issue, have you any mods fitted..?, When it stalled, where there any immediate unusual noises..? error codes showing? I will be interested if any codes are stored, once on star, and also very interested in the diagnosed problem, sorry I cannot help here, but unusual issue. Best of luck with your repair.

Had Kleemann manifolds installed, re-map and cat delete. When the car stalled there was no error codes, it seemed to be fine. As you said the s/c progressively got louder as I was driving.

Its just parked up now waiting to get towed on Monday. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom