M113K Starter Motor Replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andy27168

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
65 Plate E350 CDI Convertible, 2006 CLS 55 AMG, 1997 C230K, 1999 C43/55 AMG
Hi Guys,
My starter on the CLS has always sounded very labored unless the battery was 100% charged, always bothered me a bit but just assumed it was a symptom of the overly power hungry electrical system in these cars.
I was updating the software, clearing codes etc on STAR the other day and as always I had the engine running whilst doing this, and as I was clearing each code which involved switching ignition on/off (starting engine on/off) i noted that the starter was laboring more than normal, but there was now a pronounced squeaking sound and cut out in the starting cycle, turning off ignition and starting again cured it though starter was still laboring, this happened approx 4 - 5 times, and now has done this once in normal use.
Anticipating having to replace the starter I have bought a new starter, planning on replacing it over the Christmas period.
According to WIS it seems a simple enough task and apparently is less than an hour book time to do.
I have had a quick look underneath the car and it appears very obstructed and difficult to access the area, can anyone offer any advice on changing it.
Any assistance/advice appreciated.

I can't fully remember from when I changed mine out. But I am quite sure removing one side of the exhaust made it a heck of a lot easier to get the starter out.

My old starter would take a few more turns than usual to fire up the car (I assume it's due old age), so that's why I changed it out. I got a refurbished Bosch one from eBay and the starter is much stronger and fires up a lot quicker.

Hi,
Besides the squeaking and the random starter cycle timing out it will no longer labor when starting with anything less than a fully charged battery.
I have read that the 203/209 55's you need to remove the exhaust system and the engine mount to change the starter, but there is no such instructions for this on the CLS, I can see why you would remove the exhaust in this area to gain more access as the primary CAT is huge and is in exactly the wrong place, I would prefer to try to avoid its removal especially as its meant to be able to be done without it but I will bare it in mind.
I think its looking harder than it should do due to being on my back with the car only inches above my nose.

I am a bit lucky to have my own 2 post lift so made the job so much easier.

Oh yes, removal of the engine mount is required, so it's quite a big job for just a simple starter :wallbash:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom