M116 4.2, KE injection throttle switch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Llewelyn

Car
S210 320CDi D6
I suspect the throttle position switch on the throttle body is erratic - symptoms seem to point that way - it sometimes idles correctly and sometimes idles up around 1000-1100 - also, sometimes it's not shutting off the fuel on over-run (can tell this by less engine braking). If I unplug the idle compensator thingy with it idling, the idle speed goes up so it looks as though that is working.

If I'm right in my thinking, the TPS is a simple switch which is made (or broken) when the throttle is at idle position. The linkage etc is not sticking, and the throttle returns to the idle stop correctly so it's not that.

Now, when I had a KE injection on the ford v6, that switch wasn't on the throttle body, instead it had a microswitch mounted on the linkage which did the same job, i.e. told the system that yer boot was off the loud pedal.

Am I right that it's just a switch, not a position sensor, and if so, anyone see why I shouldn't disconnect it and substitute a switch on the throttle linkage somewhere easier to get to, to do the same job? It appears to have 3 wires (or rather, it has a 3-pin plug) but I've yet to check diagrams to find if it really does and if so which is switched which way in operation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom