M117 Solid Lifter Torque

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gear1275

Car
500 sec
gents,
Just taken the covers off of my m117 engine in my 500 sec and confirmed that I have 50.1 AMG cams and a solid lifter conversion which is good news.
My question is this...
I have read up on how to adjust the solid lifters and read about the torque values that the adjusting nut will be under but... what gives it this torque as I can’t see any mention of a locking nut?
I’m used to setting tappets on older classics with a lock nut. Am I overthinking the process?
I’m also aware that there’s is a special tool for the job and some people use a crows foot spanner etc.
Finally, laser tools list a valve adjustment socket that looks correct but is only listed for m100 engine and a few others but not for m117, will it do the job?
Part number is 6274....
James.

If it is anything like the very much older M117 450 I have the lifters are tapered and tighten in the block. As to using the special tool or a cranked spanner, which is the only "official" way you can adjust the clearances, I found very difficult as the lifters are very tight and I was apprehensive of rounding them off. I opted for the very difficult and time consuming way of individually depressing each valve spring in turn and removing the tappet and using a socket to adjust the lifter. It does take time but not as long as you might think.

Thanks for the reply.
I checked them the other day and I have about 3 that are 2-3 thou too big so because of what’s involved I will leave them as all the rest are perfect...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom