M119 22mm Spark Plug Socket Doesn't Fit....does it need a special MB tool?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rockits

MB Enthusiast
Car
2005 E55K Estate; 2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE;2004 E500 Estate;2005 Alfa GT V6;306GTi-6;206 GTi 180
I went to change my plugs at the weekend as have no idea when they were changed by the last owner. Cheap and simple job and have done it tons of times before on previous cars.

First time I have done it on my M119 R129 SL60 though. No problems at all getting to the plugs but my 22mm spark plug socket doesn't seem to fit into the deep well where the spark plugs are located. I have three of these sockets that I have used for years with the rubber in to keep the spark plug from falling out. Just for use with spark plugs.

Do I need a special MB tool for this as the socket is a tiny bit to wide in diameter to go down the well. I haver plenty of 1/4", 3/8" & 1/2" drive ratchets, sockets and extension bars but none of the three 22mm spark plug sockets git easily in to the width of the wells. Does it need a bit of persuasion and should be tight or does it need a special MB socket that is a little thinner?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Dean

Do you have the new plugs? Is it possible they are 19mm spark plugs?

Do you have the new plugs? Is it possible they are 19mm spark plugs?

How silly do I look....yup they are a different size indeed to the socket's I have....they are actually 16mm.

That would explain it!:wallbash:

Hee, hee, no harm done.

I think I have 16mm plug socket if you would like to borrow it. I'm in Stotfold.

Thanks for the offer but I have bought one anyway as will need it in the future. Only £4.99 delivered including vat for a rubber & magnetic one so well worth getting anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom