M119 5.0 V8 engines in W140s

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

W210 Fan

MB Enthusiast
Car
W140 S500L W208 430
for a project I need one of these, I know they are fitted to R129s but buying a complete W140 is cheaper, but my questions are thus,

1. I am planning on buying one of these without dizzy cap but I dont know when they started fitting them to road cars, I have a feeling it was about mid 90s but I want to be sure before buying a donor car,

2. A bit of research has lead me to understand that this engine can be bolted to a manual gearbox and run the standard ECU, can anybody confirm this?

by the way if anybody knows of a W140 thats had a rear ender with about 100k on the clock I would be very interested as its only the stuff at the front im interested in

similar set up for w107 and w116 w126, but be careful with the sump as i know engines can be transplanted but sum need changing as the w126/w116 r higher than the sl hence sump swap would be required this also need to be done prior to fitting. similarly for the gearbox in manual it was an optional extra but can be done again u need tech info for that

Last edited:
oh the engine is not going back into a merc so sumps are not a problem, it will have a dry sump anyway,

horgantrevor - thanks mate I had read that but it didnt give me a clue to the change over year from the injection I had in the W126 SEC (early mechanical fuel injection) and dizzy cap to `proper` fuel injection, however that link will give you a clue as to what the engine is for...

C9 ?

Jay or Talbir will know for sure the changeover year.

C9 ?

Jay or Talbir will know for sure the changeover year.

yep, its something I have always wanted to do, building a caterham is too much like Lego for me, I want to design (copy) and manufacture the whole car myself

mine is a 93 with leads and dizzy and im sure ive seen a 94 500E with the same... but then that could be just the 500E.

Had a project once and needed a 140 engine, pre electronic. Late 92 was electronic but early 92 was dizzy caps etc. Maybe someone had changed things, I don't know.

Certainly as far as the SL goes, 95 still has dizzies. IIRC you're looking at a fairly short window, between the swap from 4sp hydro to 5sp electronic transmission in '96, and the subsequent switch to the M113 in '99. I would imagine the W140 would be similar.

Either way, you're looking for an LH Motronic motor. The code for this should be 119.982

EDIT - Looking into it a bit further, it goes a little something like this:

pre Oct92: KE Jetro, electromechanical. (I think the 129 is too late for pure mechanical K-Jetro?)
Oct92 - Sept96: LH Jetro, electronic, separate distributors
Sept96-98: LH Motronic, electronic with integrated ignition

Last edited:
for a project I need one of these, I know they are fitted to R129s but buying a complete W140 is cheaper, but my questions are thus,

1. I am planning on buying one of these without dizzy cap but I dont know when they started fitting them to road cars, I have a feeling it was about mid 90s but I want to be sure before buying a donor car,

2. A bit of research has lead me to understand that this engine can be bolted to a manual gearbox and run the standard ECU, can anybody confirm this?

by the way if anybody knows of a W140 thats had a rear ender with about 100k on the clock I would be very interested as its only the stuff at the front im interested in

M119's were also fitted in W124's E500E. i think dizzy caps were fitted till 1996!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom